Dead Battery?? Noooo

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by originalcliche, Jan 17, 2009.

1. originalcliche macrumors member

OK so I'm brilliant and left my macbook in my car in its case over night. Would of been fine except i live in Canada and the temps were low last night might of hit 0 celius which is 32 F, so feezing. I tried to turn it on without power this morning and only battery and it said it ws at 0% wouldnt turn on. So i connected the power cable and it turned on but battery was at 0% and didnt move for 20 minutes so i took the battery out and now i think my battery is dead. What can I do. I am out of warranty and did not buy apple care cuz i am dumb.

Thanks in advance

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

0c wont kill your battery, it reaches that temp in the UK often, i think its more likely you did something to your battery, have you tried doing a full charge?

A full charge from 0% will take 8 hours or more.

3. Kevlar macrumors 6502

I hope you let the battery warm up to room temp before attempting to use it. Leaving it in the cold for a while won't hurt it, using the battery when it is that cold could.

4. Laco macrumors 6502

yeah i agree with this....it needs to warm up to room temperature before use....a week ago my battery was in -8 C temperature for 5 hours or so and its working fine!

5. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Yea if you try to draw current from a cold battery or charge a cold battery you are just going to screw it up since the chemical reaction within the battery acts at a different rate at different temperatures. The controllers on the battery are designed to charge at room temp.

6. originalcliche thread starter macrumors member

Yes I figured so so I left it alone for half a day and then charged it. Took less then 3 hours to charge. Back to normal. Thanks for the input fellas.