Dead Battery?? Noooo

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by originalcliche, Jan 17, 2009.

  1. originalcliche macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    #1
    OK so I'm brilliant and left my macbook in my car in its case over night. Would of been fine except i live in Canada and the temps were low last night might of hit 0 celius which is 32 F, so feezing. I tried to turn it on without power this morning and only battery and it said it ws at 0% wouldnt turn on. So i connected the power cable and it turned on but battery was at 0% and didnt move for 20 minutes so i took the battery out and now i think my battery is dead. What can I do. I am out of warranty and did not buy apple care cuz i am dumb.

    Thanks in advance
     
  2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

    kastenbrust

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Location:
    North Korea
    #2
    0c wont kill your battery, it reaches that temp in the UK often, i think its more likely you did something to your battery, have you tried doing a full charge?

    A full charge from 0% will take 8 hours or more.
     
  3. Kevlar macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2004
    Location:
    Great White North
    #3
    I hope you let the battery warm up to room temp before attempting to use it. Leaving it in the cold for a while won't hurt it, using the battery when it is that cold could.
     
  4. Laco macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2008
    #4
    yeah i agree with this....it needs to warm up to room temperature before use....a week ago my battery was in -8 C temperature for 5 hours or so and its working fine!
     
  5. Kevlar macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2004
    Location:
    Great White North
    #5
    Yea if you try to draw current from a cold battery or charge a cold battery you are just going to screw it up since the chemical reaction within the battery acts at a different rate at different temperatures. The controllers on the battery are designed to charge at room temp.
     
  6. originalcliche thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    #6
    Yes I figured so so I left it alone for half a day and then charged it. Took less then 3 hours to charge. Back to normal. Thanks for the input fellas.
     

Share This Page