Dead Battery or Hardware fault?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by weckart, Jun 12, 2019.

1. weckart macrumors 601

My last purchase was the 2005 14" iBook. This came with a dead aftermarket battery. I filched a spare Apple battery from a dead iBook. SysProfiler shows it has about 2300mAh left of its original 4400mAh. The charging cable turns orange when I have the battery in, SysProfiler insists it isn't charging but an old X-Charge utility indicates that it is trickle charging.

However, apart from a brief period when it registered up to 3% charged, the battery refuses to rise above 0%. I have left it on overnight, both sleeping and switched off. This has resulted in no change in charge level. The LED on the battery flashes on the first LED when the charge level button is pressed but switches off after a couple of seconds.

I have reset nvram, reset the PMU/SMC and done all the usual tricks but I can't get the battery to start charging. The orange LED on the charger cable gives me some hope that the battery can be coaxed to spring into life. Is there anything else left to try or do I have two duff batteries?

2. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

3. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

4. Hughmac, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019

Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Ah, the Libretto. I had the 100, and overclocked it from 166 to 266 to run Win XP (slowly). Fun though.

I tried the freezer trick a long time ago, and I can't remember what success I had. It's supposed to reset the chips inside the battery so it'll accept a charge. It must've done some good or I wouldn't have recalled it.

Anyway, remembering this, I've just put a nearly dead Pismo battery in the freezer in hopes as I've searched all over the world for replacement ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2019 ---
    FORGET THAT, according to that link it apparently makes a lithium-ion battery worse to freeze it !!

5. weckart thread starter macrumors 601

6. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

7. amagichnich macrumors 6502

amagichnich

8. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Yes I know, see my PS above in red. Sorry to have upset you all; I was obviously thinking of way back before lithium ion.

Cheers :)

Hugh

9. amagichnich macrumors 6502

amagichnich

again I am a victim of not refreshing the page, I only saw post #4 :D