Dead disk, right?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SJTV1, Jun 18, 2008.

1. SJTV1 macrumors newbie

OK, here was clicking noise, MB freezed, on restart there's a folder with ? in it, Disk utility (from install DVD) doesn't even see internal HD.
    I guess that means it's dead, right?

PS: Just checking, cause I'll just take it to service tomorrow (dont have time to play with it anymore today), and I don't want to hear "It was just an ..." from the service.

2. steeler macrumors regular

Sounds like a dead (or severely wounded) disk to me. It could be fixable, but IMO not losing data is much more important. I would get a new disk drive regardless.

3. SJTV1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have backups, so data is not a problem. Just checking with you guys, I dont want to go to service for nothing.

4. steeler macrumors regular

If Disk Utility can't find it, then there's something major wrong. I think service is the right choice unless you're out of warranty and want to just replace the drive yourself.

As far as replacement goes, I personally don't continue to use hard drives that have failed me like that, since I never know when they'll die completely (assuming yours even has any life left). I have backups, but I don't want to be in the middle of an important project and have the hard drive die.