Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lotas87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
I've got a Macbook from '06, my battery doesn't hold a charge so it has to be plugged in to power up, but when you hit the power button, the screen flashes, but doesn't go to the grey screen, it just stays black/dead.

I saw a thread on this site where someone had a similar problem and it turned out to be a bad ram module. I replaced both ram modules already, but it didn't fix the problem.

One thing that did happen after the switching out the ram is now every 4-6hours it randomly makes the "startup" noise, and the blue screen comes on with the startup box saying logging in, but the display dies and goes black again after about 5seconds.

Does anyone have an idea of what else I might try before sending it in? Is it even fixable? Do these sound like symptoms of something common? Thanks :)

Maim

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2009
if the display is conking out, then it might be just the display that needs to be looked at, but if the whole computer is shutting off after a few seconds then it will be a logic board problem, which will rain on your parade :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.