Dead drive (?) and how to reinstall OS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnthonyCM, Oct 12, 2011.

1. AnthonyCM macrumors regular

"Invalid node structure. Invalid record count." That's all my computer says over and over again when I put it into single user mode.

See, I was stuck on the start up screen. Eventually booted from the install disc, but it had "repair disc" all grayed out. I tried single user mode, and that's where I got the "invalids".

Is my hard disc fried? Yes, thankfully, I have all data backed up. It's an early '08 MBP. I'm trying to hold off until the next upgrade before purchasing.

So, if my hard drive is indeed dead, I understand how to put a new one in, but then what? Do I then just put in the install discs and follow prompts? Can someone point me in the right direction to get me up and running again?

Thanks,
    -anthony

2. ThemacNub macrumors regular

install the HDD and boot from the cd. When that loads format the HDD for mac osx extended with disk utility (find that in the menu bar). After you've formatted close disk utility and follow the install prompts. It will ask you if you want to recover from a time machine back up, select that and continue.