dead drive or logic board or something else?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cuestakid, Oct 16, 2009.

1. cuestakid macrumors 68000

So my machine was working fine all day. I installed a yep(the PDF management app) trial and the app locked up so I tried to quit the app. It removed itself from the dock but wouldn't disappear from the desktop. I tried to do a reboot but it got stuck so I held down the power button. I then tried to reboot and it kinda got stuck in some kind of loop and I had to unplug some peripherals and it eventually shutdown. But now it won't boot. I press the power button and it just shuts down.

I tried resetting the PRAM and the SMC and neither worked. I had replaced the ram a long time ago (January of this year) and thinking maybe it was the RAM I swapped back in the old Apple RAM with the same result. I can hear the CD drive spin but I cannot I hold it down and the indicator light flashes but after a few seconds the machine shuts off.

With my battery being full I am convinced that either the logic board is dead or the hard drive crashed. I do have AppleCare and I do have an appointment tomorrow but my question is assuming the worst and the logic board is dead, is this covered under AppleCare?

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...you installed software so why wouldn't the logic board be covered if that part of your hardware died?

It should be covered if you don't have any cosmetic damage they deemed to cause the logic board to die (such as dropping your laptop)...

Keep us posted...

3. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

So I went to the Apple Store and they have sent it to the Repair They think it is either a power supply or a logic board. Thank god I had AppleCare. I now must suffer the punishment of using a Dell laptop for about a week till I get my Mac back.

Maybe that is the lesson that Apple wants people to learn; you break your mac, we'll fix it but you must suffer the consequence of using Windows again so you learn to appreciate and respect your mac.