'Dead' Early 2008 Mac Pro - What Do I Need to Strip Out?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Monty Pavement, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Monty Pavement macrumors regular

Quick question that I can't find an answer to on the web ...

My Early 2008 Octo 2008 Mac Pro has died. When you power it on the fan speeds up ... and doesn't stop. The power light flashes on and off repeatedly and that's it.

I've got Applecare, so will call Apple to fix it, but I'm wondering how it will be done.

I'm nowhere near an Applestore (I'm in the UK) so will they collect and return?

I've added 3 HDs and 8Gb of memory - should I remove these before it gets returned?

Anyone been in a similar position who can give me a clue?

Ta in advance

2. OddThomas macrumors regular

OddThomas

Yes, my MP08 died. I recommend you remove your RAM and harddrives. Take it back to the way you bought it.

I have an apple store close by, so was able to take it in. They could not figure out what was wrong, so they replaced the whole thing. Brand new box.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Remove ANYTHING that is not OEM. If you send in your machine w/ 3rd party parts, 1) you may not get them back (Apple will even tell you they are not responsible) & 2) they may blame the 3rd part parts and refuse to repair -- AppleCare doesn't cover malfunctions due to non-Apple parts, even if they are "user installable."

4. akadmon macrumors 68010

You sure it's really dead? My MP behaved exactly like this after one of the RAM sticks became unseated.

5. modular macrumors regular

the fans going on full speed plus the power light blinking strongly points to bad RAM. try removing all memory except the original and see if it boots up again.

6. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I had similar issues with my 2008 Mac Pro. Took Apple two attempts at repairing it before they set out to replace it with my current 09'. Call Applecare they should be able to tell you how to proceed. But 1st remove any non-apple parts and try booting up. Good Luck! :D

7. maghemi macrumors 6502

Most definitely remove your extra parts. They will not guarantee data security, and most likely not give you back the extras should they replace the machine.

However as others have said, take out the ram and if you have the original just run it with that. You may find it's just dead ram.

8. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

Do a SMC reset. It should help.

My Mac Pro 2008 is dead and it even do not start fans.