Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HighNoon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Just got my iPhone 6 Plus 64GB Space Gray (pre-ordered from Apple) tonight and finished getting it set up when I had to call AT&T for an activation issue and realized the ear speaker wasn't working. Speaker on the bottom of the phone works fine so I can do speakerphone, listen to music, etc. but the ear speaker is DoA apparently.

I'm hoping Apple will just give me a brand new phone instead of fixing this one. Anyone have experience with this particular issue or something similar?

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Just got my iPhone 6 Plus 64GB Space Gray (pre-ordered from Apple) tonight and finished getting it set up when I had to call AT&T for an activation issue and realized the ear speaker wasn't working. Speaker on the bottom of the phone works fine so I can do speakerphone, listen to music, etc. but the ear speaker is DoA apparently.

I'm hoping Apple will just give me a brand new phone instead of fixing this one. Anyone have experience with this particular issue or something similar?

if youre within the 14 days just return they give you brand new one. Or at least they did when I did it in store for my air.

Sikh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
They can't fix your phone this early on plus they have stock to replace doa's PLUS you got the phone and have15 days. Your fine. I would take it in let them look at it and the. Arrange for you to get a new phone.

My plus is perfect and I hope it stays that way. Really hope your next one is perfect.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Try using Skype or other phone app to see if you can't hear sound

I will do all tests before returning the iphone, sometimes software has issues.

90% of the problems are related to software not hardware.

HighNoon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Thanks for the replies. I did a lot of searching and couldn't find any other 6/6+ owners with this particular issues. Of all the things to go wrong... a speaker. :rolleyes:

I'm chatting with Apple support now, crossing my fingers I can just take it into a store and swap it out.

Foofoo89

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014

Maybe this may sound stupid, is the protective plastic removed? Maybe that is preventing any passage of any audio?

HighNoon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Try using Skype or other phone app to see if you can't hear sound

I will do all tests before returning the iphone, sometimes software has issues.

90% of the problems are related to software not hardware.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried Skype, no dice. I also did "erase all content and settings" twice and restored the phone via itunes once. No help there either.

----------

Maybe this may sound stupid, is the protective plastic removed? Maybe that is preventing any passage of any audio?

Plastic is removed :p

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009

Sometimes this happens and in no way it sounds stupid. One people I know always say that his iphone took very bad pictures and what a surprise when I remove the back plastic that was affecting the camera lens.

Please look at this video is a very good example of how sometimes people have issues and they have the solution in front of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhvgES_GnPs

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Have you tested the headphones to talk to see if there you have sound?

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Here is some info I found only so that you understand better what maybe the issue, I think you will have to return your iphone, or before I do that I will go to an Apple Store so that some one checks my iphone, sometimes they could fix it very fast because they have special tools, or if you want a new one return it but you will have to wait a lot of time because the iphone 6 + is sold out.

Apple iPhone 5S Ear Speaker Troubleshooting:

The Apple iPhone 5S Ear Speaker is your main hearing piece when using your device in normal phone mode. The ear speaker is not the same as your external speakers for playing music. The ear speaker also does not control the sound when using your phone in speaker phone mode. If you place your phone to your ear to answer a call, and you have no sound, then this is the part you need.

Make sure your ear speaker is fully covered by the protective plate on your iPhone 5S. The ear speaker on this phone only fully functions once this shield is on. This shield aids to direct the sound outward to your ear instead of inward at the internal components of your device (they don’t listen well anyway). If this piece is missing, or nor on correctly, you will need to open your device, and tack it down before your new ear speaker will work again.
Check the springs (the copper prongs) on your ear speaker. They are designed to maintain a constant connection on your device, and if one of these prongs is not long enough, you will need to stretch it back into place before your new speaker will work.
If your hear a buzzing noise while taking a call, your new speaker simply is not tight in its fitting. Open your device, make certain your ear speaker is aligned correct, and tighten all the screws that hold this part in place. Your speaker now should work normally.
If your ear speaker is tight, all the prongs are touching, and the cover plate intact, then you may have a defective or broken part.

djgcue

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2008
I have the same issue. I can barely hear anyone on my earpiece. Sound is distorted. I will be taking it to the genius bar tomorrow

wickedwahine11

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
I have the same issue. I can barely hear anyone on my earpiece. Sound is distorted. I will be taking it to the genius bar tomorrow

The sound is not distorted on my 6 but I can barely hear them. It is way softer than the 5 earpiece was. Trying to make an appt. for this weekend at the Genius Bar.

HighNoon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Got my new phone today. Genius Bar was closed for some reason but they were helping people with DoA issues like mine. Miraculously the store had a 64GB space grey 6 plus in stock and they were able to swap it out. Earpiece on the new one works fine, does seem a little quieter than the 5 though.

heartskisses

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2014
iPhone 6 plus earpiece not working

Bought my Ip6+ last nov15 and just today I'm having a problem with the earpiece I can't hear anything and now when I answer my phone I use the speaker just so I could hear the person on the other line.DOes anyone has a solution on this. I purchased my phone at best buy with AT&T carrier and am planning to exchange with a new phone.or can I return at apple store?im not sure if they will give me a new phone since this is more than 2 weeks old phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.