Dead end

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by cube, Oct 31, 2013.

1. cube macrumors G5

Wow, the removal of SyncServices does not only affect iOS, but also sync software for other devices.

This settles it. Time to stop buying Macs. This one will stay with Mountain Lion.

2. ideal.dreams, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

You're going to boycott an entire product line because of an issue you caused? Seems a bit over the top, but thanks for sharing your feelings anyways.

Edit: Apologies, thought the OP meant he removed SyncServices himself.

3. cube thread starter macrumors G5

*I* caused? You mean *Apple* caused, THEY removed it from Mavericks.

4. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

A swarm of bees!

If the OP wouldn't mind - and I mean this earnestly - what the removal means, that would be great.

I did find this little gem in an Apple doc wrt SyncServices:

"As if it were a swarm of bees, you should stay away from the SyncServices folder. Removing or modifying anything in the SyncServices folder - or in any subfolders within it - may cause unexpected issues. "

As if it were a swarm of bees!

5. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

You won't be missed.

Hopefully you can find another product that serves your needs better.

It means that if your device doesn't have iCloud there is no way to sync:

Contacts, Calendars, and Mail settings with Calendars, Contacts, Mail, and third-party applications that support SyncServices.

In other words if you were using a non apple device per say and synced your calendar with that device you can no longer do that in Mavericks and the foreseeable future unless the device supports some form of iCloud syncing.

6. cube thread starter macrumors G5

It means Apple removed SyncServices from Mavericks, to that you can only sync Contacts, Calendars, etc. with a device using iCloud.

7. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

That's the typical Apple way, isn't it - forcing people to move along to the new stuff.

I get your point though - there are plenty of issue with iCloud (hell, the cloud in general), it's not really fully baked yet, and there are some who have reasonable desires not to migrate.

8. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Well there's also the fact that not all devices support iCloud so now if you own one that you used to sync you're either forced to run 10.8 or your device is now garbage.

9. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I would put that under "reasonable desires" myself...

:^)

10. cube thread starter macrumors G5

BTW, on Windows you can still sync your iOS device without using iCloud.

11. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Some people already tried an OSX Server setup on their Mac for this and it did not work.

12. Schubi macrumors newbie

This is incorrect. You can use CardDav and CalDav to sync to your own 'cloud' service, such as owncloud.org.

13. drew627 macrumors regular

Doesn't this work?.... It's not iCloud...

Attached Files:

14. cube thread starter macrumors G5

The point is to be able to sync the builtin applications without using online services.

Blackberry Link still works with the builtin apps because it doesn't use SyncServices for those.

But The Missing Sync for Android does not work anymore, like some other utilities.

15. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

Me too

And it doesn't look like this is a large concern for most folks but for me, and those in similar circumstances, syncing through the cloud is an unsatisfactory solution. :mad::mad::mad:
    I can still sync through my PC but now I have no easy solution to keep my contacts current on my Macs without using the cloud and the cloud, in my experience, ain't ready.

But Apple won't care if they lose only 1% (a wag) of their user base.