Dead ethernet port? (e2008 iMac)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kirkbross, Feb 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I have an early 2008 iMac and the ethernet port seems to have suddenly died without provocation.

In Network Settings, for Ethernet it says, Status: Cable Unplugged. (it's not).

Things I've tried:
    • My PC connects fine so I took that working cable and plugged it into the iMac... no luck.
    • I bypassed our router and plugged the iMac directly into our cable modem... no luck.
    • Recycled the power on our router, modem, iMac... no luck
    • Different cables... no luck.
    • I created a new network and manually added ethernet using manual settings
    The ethernet status always says "Cable Unplugged."

In the mean time, I am able to connect successfully via WiFi, but I'm debating whether to just write this off as a dead ethernet port and use WiFi from here on out (vs. waste money at the Genius Bar). My wife and I are both web developers so slower connection is a concern.

2. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502

Phil in ocala

I had the same issue and solved it by buying the Apple Thunderbolt adapter so you plug the ethernet cable on one end and the Thunderbolt male end into your computer....works great now.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

It's not worth putting any money into repairing an iMac that is nearing 10 years old.

If you can't "fix it through software", you might consider a USB-to-ethernet adapter.
    Granted, it's "only a workaround", but they're cheap.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

2008 iMacs don't have Thunderbolt so this isn't an option here. As @Fishrrman suggested, a USB-ethernet adapter is the only way to get wired network connectivity short of putting a whole new logic board in the computer which is not in any way cost effective.

5. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

Before spending any money, suggest you try another cable as they do fail.