Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surfer99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
VA
So I think this old external hard drive might be headed for the trash can but before I ditched it I thought I would play around with it some more. I dropped my computer a few months back and when I did that the 160gb hard drive (now the "external") wouldnt work properly so I replaced it with a 60gb that came with my computer and since then my computer has worked fine. But I wanted to see if I could get a few files off that 160gb before I chucked this hard drive. I was able to get the computer to actually recognize it and got this message:

Verify and Repair disk "disk1s2"
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Invalid B-tree node size
Volume check failed.

Error:The underlying task reported failed on exit.

Well what do you guys think? Any chance I can sacrifice the data on this drive? If so how would I go about it?

Thanks

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    243.3 KB · Views: 73

surfer99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
VA
This is after I click repair, any ideas?

Attachments

• Repair.png
    Repair.png
    414 KB · Views: 64

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
From the looks of the disk on the left side... the external doesn't seem to recognize itself as a partitioned drive i think... I've had something look like that before. I couldn't get any data out of it, but i partitioned it and erased it and the hard disk was back to normal.... but if you do that... you'd lose all ur data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.