Dead GPU, want to use old MacPro as seedbox. Where to start?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pidwidget, Mar 29, 2012.

1. pidwidget macrumors newbie

I have a 2007-ish woodcrest MacPro. Either the logic board or the graphics card died ( I think the graphics card but the guys at the guys as the genius bar were no help in figuring it out and it was a month out of warranty when it happened).

It's just been sitting around for a few years while I figure out what to do with it. I want to turn it into a seedbox for torrents. Will I have to replace the graphics card or is there a way for it to work without it?

If not, can I use still the intel processor, power supply, RAM, fans, HDD, etc., and get a new motherboard/GPU and run a linux machine inside the case?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

It just feels like such a shame to have this computer sitting collecting dust :(

2. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

You could eBay it as is with an honest history and description...

3. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

It's a real shame to retire a Mac Pro if it's only the graphics card that's dead...

4. Gonk42 macrumors 6502

If you can borrow a working graphics card and swap it in that would tell you if it is the graphics card. Or get someone to try your graphics card in their Mac Pro.

Otherwise, what I'd do is buy the cheapest pc graphics card available, put that in and set it up under bootcamp to run Linux (if it is the graphics board).

The problem with buying a new motherboard (if it is the logic board at fault) is that it wouldn't fit neatly in the case, so you might need to buy a new case. And then the Apple power supply is non standard (I think) so you may need to replace that (I'm not sure).

You need to be careful that you don't end up spending more than its worth.