Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Boston
Hoping some one here can help me (or at least give me some hope).

I build a windows pc for my wife's best friend (she needed a new cheap - very cheap computer). I put it together for about $175 (I had a lot of the parts already). Anyhow, one of the few new things in it was a 120Gb hard drive that has suddenly stopped working. According to the friend, nothing preceded this the computer just would not boot up. Upon inspection, the HD is just not powering up at all. I emailed Western Digital (the drive's manufacturer), but haven't heard back yet.

Is there any hope? I don't even care about get the drive working again, but I would like to try to save anything that I can off it!

Thanks in advance!

eroda

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2005
if the hdd wont power up that data is gone if you send it to WD and its under warrenty and if they conclude it was broken under normal usage and it due to faulty equipment they will jsut replace it and ur data will be gone, also if you were to pull apart the hdd to try to get it working again the data will be gone due to micro dust particles getting on the hard disk.

neway meh

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
If the drive is not powering up, then it's either the drive itself or the power supply in the PC (assuming the power connector is properly inserted in the drive). You could try another PSU if you have one. PSUs have a higher failure rate than disks, you might be lucky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.