Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boogy619

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
One day while using my IBook G4 I noticed the battery was a lil low so I plugged the power cord in. Next thing I know, the screen starts flickering. Then the screen slowly fades out to black and the computer went off. Unfortunately it never came back on =(

That was in like Summer of 05. A few months ago (around April 07) while Spring cleaning, I took the laptap back out and tried to see if I could get it on. To my surprise it came on after numerous attempts of me plugging the cord in, taking it out, touching the power button, and touching the button on the bottom of the laptop. Anyway, it came on, I could see my desktop, the files, etc. Then it did the same thing that it had done 3 year before...slowly fades out, turns off, then never came back on!

Well because it had came on and I could see my stuff, I figured I have a chance of saving it. So a few days later I took it to the Apple store. The guy told me that They could fix it but it would cost $400 or more and that it would erase all my files (which is really my only concern). Obviously I said thanks but no thanks.

So here's my question, if I buy a cheap Mac computer off ebay (example: http://search.ebay.com/mac_Apple-Po...aprchiZQQsaprcloZQQsascsZ2QQsaslcZ1QQsbrsrtZd), could I take the memory or whatever out of my Ibook G4 and put it in Mac desktop and get my files?

Boogy619

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Buy a portable enclosure for it. 2.5" drive size, and I recommend firewire, but USB 2.0 would also work.

If I get that would I still need to buy a new/old mac or could I use it on my regular windows PC?

Sorry if thats a stupid question, I'm clueless when it comes to Macs.

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
The hard drive in ibooks are the same as any other laptop, but is quite a challenge to get to

once out it can easily be connected to enclosure but it might not be read by a pc due to the format of the ibook's drive. Either connect it to another someone elses mac and back it up there or get macdrive and connect to a pc.

There are better instructions with images on the interent, but i rember when doing it you have to unscrew and take of the back, then this metal panel, then some screws in the back of the logic board which lets you take of the front, take out the keyboard, airport card with a metal panel underneath, with the logic board and harddrive under that. This is just a idea of what to do

If it is powering on might there be problems with the charger?

As far as i know the memory only works in ibooks but might be wrong

Boogy619

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Thanks guys. This sounds a lot better than spending $400 (or more) to NOT get my stuff back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.