Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neffedo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
New England
Hey guys! I really need some help with something, so I would super appreciate any replies. :)

Okay, so I have this 800mHz iBook G3 made sometime in 2001. It's had a logic board problem previous to this, but under Apple's Logic Board program thing, I was able to send it in to get it fixed.

Then I bought a powerbook, so I hadn't been using my iBook a lot. I had just fired it up about two weeks ago (after being turned off for about two months) and it showed signs of having logic board problems once again.
What was happening was that the display would dim when opening up the iBook. So I had it shut down until I could take it to an Apple store where they could check to make sure that it really is the logic board.

I tried turning it on today, just to back up some files I have on there, but now it won't even turn on! I've tried holding the power button for several seconds, tried booting it up when plugged in, and have even taken out the battery and replacing it then trying to boot it back up. . . but nothing's working!

I know it's kind of an old laptop, and it may have some problems (but I don't know why because it's been off for a while and I haven't been abusing it or anything). I just really need some files that are on there.

Any ideas for trying to get it to boot up and stay on long enough to back up files?

Thanks in advance for any replies!!!!!!

-nef

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
when you say it does not boot does it acctually turn on or is their no power at all, hold your ear to the palm rest and listen for the hard drive.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I know you don't want to hear this, but, worst case scenario, you open up the computer and take out the HD. Put it in a firewire case and back up whatever you need.

neffedo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
New England
Hector said:
when you say it does not boot does it acctually turn on or is their no power at all, hold your ear to the palm rest and listen for the hard drive.

It doesn't turn on at all. . . there are no noises when I put my ear on the hard drive. What I'm doing is trying to plug the laptop in so that it has full charge and see if that makes a difference. I don't think it'll work, but I'm trying to do whatever.

neffedo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
New England
Battery?

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a battery on a motherboard or something of that sort? And if so, would it keep the iBook from starting up? How much would it cost to replace?

Thanks for any replies!

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
wordmunger said:
I know you don't want to hear this, but, worst case scenario, you open up the computer and take out the HD. Put it in a firewire case and back up whatever you need.
Yes, do that if you have to, those cases are like $3 on ebay. :)

neffedo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
New England
Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies! I think what I'm going to do is send it into an Apple store to get it checked for the logic board. If it's something horrible (like something got fried) then I'll have to do the firewire casing thing.

Wish me luck!!!
-nef

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.