dead iBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mishima819, May 14, 2007.

1. mishima819 macrumors newbie

Hi all- I signed up here to ask a life or death question for my iBook G3...

While transferring through an airport last week on one of those moveable walkways, I got clipped off by another passenger who was running through the terminal to catch his flight. Unfortunately, he somehow managed to send my briefcase- with the iBook- sailing ten feet accross the terminal, landing onto the floor with a sickening thud.

Although the iBook was fortunately in a protective notebook cover, and there were no cracks to be seen when I retreived it, my attempts to fire up the iBook have failed. That is, when turning the machine on, everything seems to lead me on that its going to run normally- the OS9 to OS10.3 transfer clicks in, I get the grey apple symbol on the grey background with the running circle below- and then nothing. The grey screen goes on, and on, and on. I tried it again this morning and it stayed like this for an hour.

Worse, I cannot simply turn the machine off without hitting the reset button, and all attempts to reinstall the programs or do a hardware test lead to nothing...

If I had more time, I'd probably search high and low through the forums to see if there was anything I could do to bring the iBook back to life. Unfortunately, I have to leave in two days again, and wanted to bring the laptop with me.

So my question: is there some way that I can get this dear old beast running again, or is it curtains for my beloved iBook? Maybe someone can help me. I'd certainly appreciate it!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

When you say the hardware tests don't work, can you even boot from the CDs? Can you boot from the OSX discs? If you have another Mac handy, could you try using Target Disk Mode to regain your data?

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Sounds like your HDD is dead pal...try MJ's suggestion to pull off your important info and get new HDD..sorry.

Bless