Dead iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by samuraix98, Jul 11, 2009.

1. samuraix98 macrumors newbie

I have recently come across an extremely cheap ibook (free) which i was able to keep if I got it too work. Well I've been successfully fairly by using it for a few weeks, then it just died. Not sure how it did but it did.

The problems seem to be with the flashing (Finder/?) folder on a gray screen back ground.

I've already run through the apple.com's tutorials of what's wrong and have successfully done a PRAM and a PMU reset with no result.

One of the times that I restarted the iBook and after the flashing folder got two new separate folders. One with an arrow turning clockwise on the left, and another folder with an arrow pointing right on the right. Both in blue folders as the flashing folders.

Now I believe the problem is that the iBook is unable to find and utilize the Startup Disk. Forums I have read state to put in the reinstall disc, which I don't see how that will work on account of the CD tray not responding to anything I've yet put in there. Not trying with disc until i know that is the only possible solution. Don't want to loose my disc.

Maybe some of you have come across this situation and know of a sure fire way to fix it. If not, Ill have to just send it in to some site.

Thank you all for your time.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The flashing folder means that there is no system on the computer (nor one that it can find). Simply insert any OS X disc (that can run in the machine) and you should be able to install OS X and start using it. If it won't boot off of the disk, then there may be a bad HD installed. You can always recover your disc from the system by holding down the trackpad button on startup, so you don't have to worry about losing your disc.

TEG

3. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

If it's an iBook G3 and it has a tray-loading drive, you can just stick a paper clip into the little hole on the door and it will open. If it's a G4 with slot-loading drive the above mentioned trackpad trick will always work.

4. samuraix98 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it is a G3, so ive never even though about the whole paper clip thing.

I will have to get back to you all with how the process is going because we recently moved houses and the os x disc seems to be in the midst of boxes around my room.

I did try the osx 10.5.4 disc that I got with my macbook but all the ibook does is spit the disc out. I dont even hear anything inside with it trying to begin running it.

I do have to hold C while turning on the mac with the disc iside though it seems such that nothing is working.

Once I find those older discs ill have to try it again. Unless there is a faster way to do it with out discs. Maybe from some sort of drive or get another set of dics from apple? I dont know.

Thank you all.

5. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

That's because the leopard disc is a DVD and the G3s usually only had CD drives. Also, restore discs only work on the model they were shipped with.

6. samuraix98 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes thats what I've recently realized after asking an apple personal.

I guess ill have to find those G3 CD's and go from there.

thanks again.

7. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

First of all, it sounds like your Hard Drive is shot. Buy a new one, go to iFixit.com and install it. While you're in there, throw in a Superdrive too.

If you have another mac, boot it in target disk mode (holding T at start up) and connect the iBook and that Mac with firewire. Boot the iBook holding the Option key and see if it'll boot from the other Mac's hard drive. Of course the boot volume will have to be 10.4 or earlier.

You could use the other Mac to restore a firewire hard drive with the image of an install disc.

8. samuraix98 thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting, very very interesting. I might give that a tangle as well. If those disc's don't show up.
    Though I'm not really looking to spend money on this little ibook since I run my MacBook for everything else. I would just be nice to have a trash laptop for internets and stuff.