Dead iMac G3 - Any help please?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Pixellated, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Hi, I have just taken ownership of a G3 iMac in Tango, It is the slot load model but I cannot for the life of me get it to boot. It would be good to fix it as an iTunes Server. I plug in etc... And press the power button but nothing l
    happens - No light, no noise, no nothing. I have tried switching power leads, but that is it. Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks!

2. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

honestly, its not worth it, its probably a psu issue and you could just get another one on craigslist free or your computer dump

3. Pixellated thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey- it was free when I got it, I think I'll use it for a mod or something.... Thanks anyway for your input. :)

4. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

The other thing that was pretty common with these iMacs was that if the user attempted to install OS X without updating the firmware, it would essentially brick the machine. There have been some fixes offered, but I'm not sure if that's what happened to the iMac that you have.

http://www.gileskennedy.com/panthereatsimac

5. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

imac g3 fishtank lol or catbed

6. Pixellated thread starter macrumors 65816

You are SO a midreader....

7. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

8. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Try taking out the ram and putting it back in,the the HD.I have one that had issues and that what was causing the problems.

9. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

People are too hard on these G3's in my opinion... it's kind of find to play mad scientist with them, and if you break them... well who cares.

If you can get OS X on one of them though, even one as slow as 333Mhz, it's still a great machine for a kid.

In your case though, I agree with the poster who said to check the RAM. Probably not in there correctly, or the RAM is bad altogether... did you happen to put PC133 in a machine that only goes at 100 speed?

10. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

its either the Power supply (a relatively easy fix) but if its the PAV board, i wouldnt even bother with it.

11. MacTech68, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Perhaps the easiest thing to do is to get another (preferably one that at least powers up) and start by swapping the Down Converter.

The Down Converter board plugs on the the side of the iMac's logic board. It's unusual for them to fail but you can at least narrow it down to either the Analog board or the Down Converter or Logic board.

I saw a lot of these machines with dry solder joints on the fly-back transformer but getting the analog board out to resolder them is not for the faint hearted if you've not attempted it before.

Do yourself a favor, and get a take-apart for the machine.

Google the following for your model:

imac_sl.pdf

:eek:
    ________
    how to roll a joint