Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aelita

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Connecticut
My iMac G5 17" just died this morning. I woke it from sleep mode and it froze up with vertical lines going down the screen. Now it gives me a blue screen with vertical lines whenever I boot it up. Judging by what I read from multiple sources, this is a logic board failure.

That being said I think I am finally ready to upgrade Intel and was wondering if any parts are interchangeable between the iMac G5 and a white Intel iMac? I figured I might be able to save some money if I can salvage the RAM, the HDD, the DVD drive, or maybe even the screen.

Also, given the iMac's susceptibility to logic board failure and other problems, should I buy a 2006 Intel iMac as I planned, or would it be more worth it to break the bank and buy a 2006 mac pro?

Last edited:

tigerintank

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
without doing any reading to give you specific recs - my instinct says if you're prepared to break the bank, then break it and get the best iMac you can - unless you need the expansion of a MP

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
My iMac G5 17" just died this morning. I woke it from sleep mode and it froze up with vertical lines going down the screen. Now it gives me a blue screen with vertical lines whenever I boot it up. Judging by what I read from multiple sources, this is a logic board failure.

That being said I think I am finally ready to upgrade Intel and was wondering if any parts are interchangeable between the iMac G5 and a white Intel iMac? I figured I might be able to save some money if I can salvage the RAM, the HDD, the DVD drive, or maybe even the screen.

Also, given the iMac's susceptibility to logic board failure and other problems, should I buy a 2006 Intel iMac as I planned, or would it be more worth it to break the bank and buy a 2006 mac pro?

The problem with white iMacs is that they experience screen failure nearly as often as a G5 experiences Logic Board failure. I recommend a 2006 or 2007 Mac Pro if you can afford it.

Aelita

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Connecticut
Yeah it looks like a Mac Pro is my safer bet. Judging by the immaculate lifespan of my Power Mac G4, It'll definitely last me a lot longer than the 10 months I had my iMac.

Also, are the early aluminum iMacs known for any problems? And how many RAM slots does a 2006 Mac Pro have?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The early 2007-2009 iMacs don't have any notable problems. They're still good older Macs that can run the latest software. Because of their age, you can get them at a low price.

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
I had this same problem on a 17" G5 iMac and turned out external display worked fine. Somebody elses iMac had a logic board failure (3 beeps) so I swapped the screens over and it made the previous iMac have a working screen again :D

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014

Be careful about buying a 2006 iMac. They are good, but stupid Nvidia put their defective chips in and many early Intel iMacs saw GPU failure. My brother used to have a perfectly good 24-inch Intel iMac. The whole thing was ruined because of Nvidia's chip. As for part compatibility, the first iMac G5s are very different from early Intel iMacs. I guess you could use the hard drive, but not much else. The iSight imac G5s are a little more similar, but that's mostly how the components are (badly) arranged inside the case. I would just strip the iMac of RAM that you could use somewhere else or sell, and get the HD out as well. iMac G5s look nice, so if you don't end up selling it for parts like we did with ours, it would make a good display ornament. BTW, I am not sure about the screen. I have the feeling some connection may be different or the resolution on the G5 screen won't be as good as on an Intel iMac.

----------

Yeah it looks like a Mac Pro is my safer bet. Judging by the immaculate lifespan of my Power Mac G4, It'll definitely last me a lot longer than the 10 months I had my iMac.

Also, are the early aluminum iMacs known for any problems? And how many RAM slots does a 2006 Mac Pro have?

My brother has a 2008 Mac Pro. I believe they may have 4 RAM slots. The thing is, RAM for older computers, especially Mac Pros, is a ton of money. They are great computers but have underpowered GPUs, and putting in a new one will require extra steps to make it compatible. I recently saw a 2.8Ghz 8-core 18GB RAM 2008 Mac Pro on eBay! Such an awesome deal at $616 w/free shipping. However, these things are better at doing multiple tasks at once than one thing, and it's a lot more work having an old tower than having any kind of all-in-one Mac from 2007 or later. Granted, I can see how the tower is obviously easier to fix if anything were to go wrong. As for buying an iMac, I would look at 2007 or later. I think you can get a 2007 iMac for like $300-400 dollars. I would say $300-350? I haven't looked at the prices lately. Again, stupid companies put their faulty hardware into iMacs. I believe 2010 and 2011 (maybe even 2012) iMacs received faulty hard disks. I don't know why Apple doesn't pay the same amount of money for ONLY Hitachi drives. They insist on sometimes putting stupid Seagate drives in their computers. We had to take ours in to get it fixed. It's a recall, so the only cost to you is your time... which is valuable for many people. If you want a used iMac, I would get a 2008-2009 one. (anything newer would obviously be a lot of money)

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
Be careful about buying a 2006 iMac. They are good, but stupid Nvidia put their defective chips in and many early Intel iMacs saw GPU failure. My brother used to have a perfectly good 24-inch Intel iMac. The whole thing was ruined because of Nvidia's chip.

The 24-inch Late 2006 model is the only 2006 iMac that has an NVIDIA graphics processor in it. All other models shipped with ATI X1600, apart from some lowest-end models which had Intel GMA950 in them.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
The 24-inch Late 2006 model is the only 2006 iMac that has an NVIDIA graphics processor in it. All other models shipped with ATI X1600, apart from some lowest-end models which had Intel GMA950 in them.

Ah, thanks for educating me on that. Although, I have witnessed graphical errors on every model. It sucks since they are nice computers... however many of them survive today. My iMac G5 iSight still stands. I guess they sort of fixed the iMac G5 by then. We bought 4 of them original and every one broke. We even had a replacement (which had NO serial number) and that broke too. Cool design, easy to open, etc... but the worst iMac Apple has ever made, and of the worst Apple computers.

Aelita

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Connecticut
Well I decided on a new machine to buy! It is a 2006 Mac Pro with 2.66 GHZ, 10 GB of RAM, 4 500 GB HDDs, and 3 Nvidia 7300 GT graphics cards. The whole thing (suprisingly) came to about $280! I don't really need a supreme machine to get me by, which is why I decided on such an older model. As long as it's better than a G5 (which is not too hard to accomplish :D ) I'm fine. In fact, judging by these specs I think it's better than my 2011 Dell Inspiron!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.