Dead iMac used as external monitor?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Montymitch, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

A few days ago my dad tells me that his logic board is dead and it's a $1500 repair. Yesterday he bought a new iMac and I'm thinking that there has to be a way to use his dead machine as an external monitor for my Macbook. His dead iMac is a mid-2010 27" i5 and my MacBook is a Late 2008.

Please someone tell me that there is a way to make this work! SOO dumb that repair is more than the replacement cost. (And yes, no Applecare, no credit card warranty, nothing. It's just dead.)

2. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

nope. it would need to be fully functional to work.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That (2 years?) is really bad, you know what I would do first? Hold fire on the monitor idea and contact Apple. Tell them firmly but politely that 2 years on a high end iMac is not what your Dad expected from such a reputable brand.

It's no lose, and well worth a shot....I've known people who have had repairs down pro gratis in just such a situation.

If they do it, you can sell the old iMac and put the money towards a T/Bolt display....If not you still have the old one to play with.

4. Montymitch thread starter macrumors regular

Montymitch

I agree. 2 years sucks. He tells me that he contacted Apple and they politely told him that his computer is broken. I think you are right though--he needs to push a little harder and get something out of this. Obviously he is a loyal customer...