Dead iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by eladnova, Jun 3, 2014.

1. eladnova macrumors regular

Hi guys

Bought a new iMac just over 5 months ago. It's the latest iMac with the 780M 4GB GPU and a 1TB HDD. Today when I turned it on, I got the following:

• The apple logo (on grey screen)
    • Spinning progress thing underneath logo
    • grey horizontal progress bar
    When the grey progress bar reaches full width, the iMac turns itself back off.

I booted into the recovery partition and here are the results of some checks

Disk Utility > Verify Disk > Macintosh HD

(in red) Incorrect number of thread records
    (in red) The colume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired
    (in red) This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk

Repair Disk
    Error: Disk cant be repaired. Back up as many files as possible, reformat the disk and backup your files.

Install OSX
    When I choose this option, the only available partitions showing are Bootcamp and Recovery partiitions. The OSX HDD partition isn't showing.​

Obviously this looks like a fatal HDD failure, right?

Whats suprising to me is the HDD failure on a machine thats rarely used. I've been meaning to port across all my Macbook files since I bought it 5 months ago so the OSX partition has only been booted up and used a few times (literally). It's actually been serving as a second monitor for the past few months and in the evenings I play BF4 on BootCamp.

2. jaxhunter macrumors regular

jaxhunter

Unfortunately there is only one truth about hard drives: they all die, it's just a question of how and when. Some are terminal out of the box and some last for years. Even SSDs don't escape this truth; they have a built-in failure as each individual block reaches its write limit.

Just be thankful we live in a world were we get at least one year of warranty...

3. MacPC macrumors regular

sounds like a disk failure in deed, but it's odd that your iMac is only 5 months old. if you bought it from Apple, you might want to bring it to Apple, to get a replacement HD, and who knows, they might even give you a replacement iMac. Obviously if a HD die in 5 months, it has something to do with Apple's QC.

4. jaxhunter macrumors regular

jaxhunter

Apple doesn't build hard drives. Apple buys them. It's up to the drive's manufacturer (Seagate, Hitachi, Western Digital, etc) to quality control them.

5. cynics macrumors G4

Not necessarily.

Companies that build parts for other companies are generally building to set specs and price points. I see high quality manufactures put out quite a bit of low quality stuff because they were trying to meet a budget.

Although in this case I think its a fluke.

6. MacPC macrumors regular

Anyone knows Apple doesn't build HDs, But the HD is part of the Mac it sells so it is covered by Apple.
    Ford and Toyota don't make the seat belts, but they will replace them when there is a recall.

7. jaxhunter macrumors regular

jaxhunter

Agreed. But the statement that there was an issue with Apple's QC... I din't refute that Apple should cover the part but rather that Apple is not responsible for it's early failure as a result of bad quality control.