Dead iMac :-(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by barnabythebear, Jan 22, 2008.

1. barnabythebear macrumors newbie

Hi

I brough a ram upgrade for my white intel iMac 20''. After installing, the mac will not start up. The light comes on on the front, and the fan makes a noise but nothing else. I put the old ram back in but it's the same :-(

I can't put a boot disc in and cmnd,option,p,r does not work.

Have i killed it?

thanks

nige.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Make sure you firmly seat the RAM. I had the same thing happen to me and the RAM just needed to be pushed in a little more.

3. barnabythebear thread starter macrumors newbie

Hiya,

Thanks. I have tried to push them as hard as i dare. I'm fairly sure by how they feel when i insert them that they are in fact down as far as they can go.

ta

nige

4. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

How old is your iMac? If it's still under warranty, stop by your nearest Apple Store or call Apple.

5. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

I have to agree with this reply, based on your symptoms. The new RAM needs to be seated firmly and deep in the socket. I upgraded my iMac with Crucial RAM as soon as I brought it home, made sure the new RAM was installed correctly, and have had no trouble. My iMac recognized on bootup. Good luck!
    Morod

6. barnabythebear thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

I'm not quite sure how i can be certain that the chips are sitting properly? I've used quite a bit of force on them already.

ta

nige

7. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

First off, I have the aluminum iMac, so I don't know if this advice carries over to the white one.
    Make sure the outside bottom edge of the RAM is not flush with the edge of the iMac, but is actually deeper in. It should be a bit further in, maybe 1/8 inch deeper. It can be unnerving, but your symptoms point to your computer not recognizing the RAM. You did get the correct RAM I'm guessing. Hope this helps.
    Morod