Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
The hubby had a second round of interviews this morning at 10AM with a company he's interested in working for. I'm very excited about this opportunity because I think he'd really like the work. Anyway, I was a powerhouse of productivity up until the point when he IMed me after it was all over. Since then I have been pretty much completely useless to my employer. I've been helping the hubby craft a thank you email to send to his interviewers (will send the card tonight, but they are supposed to call him later today to let him know if they are still interested so email will have to do for now). After about an hour of back and forth revisions he suddenly told me he had to leave for a meeting and I've been completely useless to both him and my company since. I finished my last revision of the email within a couple minutes of his leaving but can't get any feedback from him about the changes I made to his email. On top of that, I can't stop thinking about this email so I've been unable to focus on work, too. I am pretty much dead in the water.

What to do??

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Well, at least you're not just hanging out at MacRumors wasting both time and bandwidth like me.

Um. Wait. I'd better go. :p

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Can you find a way to get some quick exercise, even a walk around the block? It might clear your brain.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Went for a run. Didn't think to check the actual temperature before leaving the house, and about died in the heat. :p I did it, though, and feel much better.

Oh, and the hubby came back and got the thank you's sent. Now, I can relax....

I hope he gets the job. It would be cool to do non-profit work.... :D

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
floriflee said:
After about an hour of back and forth revisions he suddenly told me he had to leave for a meeting and I've been completely useless to both him and my company since.

You don't owe anything to the company! You should distrust the company! If anything, they owe you! Once we finally break the back of capitalism, then "the company" will see. :cool:

In all seriousness, though, good for you for being so focused on your and your husband's ideals and wants. It's so hard to make our actions meet our ideals, and even when they do, it's so hard not to bail on those ideals (ideals wilt easily in bright, shining capital). I hope he (and if you're reading this, you!) gets the job he (you!) deisres.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
iSaint said:
Non-profit would be great work. Though there's still the business world aspect, you're still helping people in the long run.

What organization is it, may we ask?

It's the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation. Ever since he started his externship at the Grameen Foundation in January he's been very gungho about non-profit work. I've noticed that the days he's working at Grameen are the days he comes home the happiest so I'm fine with it. It may not pay as much as the private sector, but it seems so much more rewarding in the end. I guess that means I won't be able to quit my job anytime soon and just sit home all day and eat bon bons.... :D

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
floriflee said:
I guess that means I won't be able to quit my job anytime soon and just sit home all day and eat bon bons.... :D
Actual bon bons? Like the little vanilla ice cream bites dipped in chocolate? I haven't had those since I was... like, seven years old! :D

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
devilot said:
Actual bon bons? Like the little vanilla ice cream bites dipped in chocolate? I haven't had those since I was... like, seven years old! :D

Oh, yeah... I haven't seen those in AGES. I think they were replaced with Edys (a.k.a. Dreyers) Dibs

Attachments

• edys_dibs.gif
    edys_dibs.gif
    24.6 KB · Views: 52

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
floriflee said:
Oh, yeah... I haven't seen those in AGES. I think they were replaced with Edys (a.k.a. Dreyers) Dibs
Ooh, these look better. The original ones were too big for me.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
iGary said:
Working at home blows.
Why? Did you spill something on your robe today? ;) No seriously though, why do you say that? In my naive way of thinking, it sounds incredibly convenient/ comfortable to work at/from home.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
What?! I love it, but then I went from commuting 2-4 hours each day and then working another 8-11 hour days, down to commuting 30 seconds and working 8-11 hour days. Plus, if you believe Gene Weingarten I can work in the nude. :D

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
devilot said:
Why? Did you spill something on your robe today? ;) No seriously though, why do you say that? In my naive way of thinking, it sounds incredibly convenient/ comfortable to work at/from home.

I need human interaction and a daily routine. I have to really push myself to get going in the morning and have to make lists to keep myself on track. When I am out in the field, I'm not in my head all day.

I dunno, just don't like it.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Yup human interaction will get you.....being in the house all day with no reason to come out beside maybe going to get supplies...get a bus boy job at night..u will love it and the tips are good;)

Bless

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
iGary said:
I need human interaction and a daily routine. I have to really push myself to get going in the morning and have to make lists to keep myself on track. When I am out in the field, I'm not in my head all day.

I dunno, just don't like it.

I could see that. I missed having co-workers near by at first, but that was mostly because I was bored. Then I finally started getting work to do and it got better. In this job I have to talk to people pretty much all day in some way shape or form so I don't miss the physical interaction so much. IM helps a lot, too. I've actually found that I can get more done without people being around so it works for me.

If I were living alone then maybe it wouldn't be so great.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Well, I'm on the "waitlist." They are impressed, but have to complete other interviews (probably to see if they can do better....it's like dating all over again):D

As for working from home, I think flori is in a special situation since she still has heavy customer interaction. If it was something that requires more internal motiviation, I would expect it to get much harder. I tried to work from home one day in January. I got about 15 min worth of work done. But, I read almost every post on MR that day....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.