Dead iPad

robastewart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Tejas
Last used my iPad a couple hours ago, set it aside as normal when done. Went back to it a few minutes ago, pressed the power button to wake it as usual, and nothing. Pressed the home button, and nothing. Tried both again, and apparently no life in the thing. Attached it to the AC adapter, still no life. It's just dead black. Have not seen any batter problem before; it was at least 85% charged when I put it to sleep a couple hours ago. Any ideas?

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
Last used my iPad a couple hours ago, set it aside as normal when done. Went back to it a few minutes ago, pressed the power button to wake it as usual, and nothing. Pressed the home button, and nothing. Tried both again, and apparently no life in the thing. Attached it to the AC adapter, still no life. It's just dead black. Have not seen any batter problem before; it was at least 85% charged when I put it to sleep a couple hours ago. Any ideas?
Unfortunately, the most common answer will be for you to take it to the Apple store.

robastewart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Tejas
The hard reset worked. Thank you! What are possible causes for that state of coma the iPad was in? Because it's happened once, is it something to anticipate happening occasionally? Any preventive maintenance that can avoid it?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The hard reset worked. Thank you! What are possible causes for that state of coma the iPad was in? Because it's happened once, is it something to anticipate happening occasionally? Any preventive maintenance that can avoid it?
Don't think there is any way to prevent / avoid it. It happens very rarely, and there usually isn't any hint as to what causes it. If it happens more often than once a month, contact Apple Care. Other than that, just go about as you always do.