Dead iPhone - (2G)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tom Sawyer, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Just when I had decided to hold off on the 3G upgrade... Saturday while listening to some tunes (pretty much fully charged) my iPhone just died. All attempts to power it back up have failed. No response when hooked to computer or charger... hold both buttons for a long time... etc etc... Just toast. After it shut off it got REALLY hot so my guess is it indeed is "toast". Totally sucks, aparently I've angered the Apple/iPhone gods by not upgrading like a good iPhone user... :rolleyes:

Anyway.... going to go by the AT&T store tomorrow and see what they will do. If they will offer me an op to upgrade to the 3G and turn in this one for a reasonable fee I'll do it, but my bet is they won't... "send it to apple"...etc...

Got to say this thing has become such a part of my life that I've been pretty low about it being dead. I was out of town or I would have tried to get it taken care of Saturday.

2. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

i can tell you right now that they wont touch it, if nothing else they will think you purposely did it to try and get a new iphone.

3. Tom Sawyer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Yeah... I thought about that... "how convenient", right?

Will just put in a repair request with Apple I suppose... I know the suggested thing to do when sending in an iPhone to Apple is to pull the sim card... but I'm out of a phone at the moment, does anyone know if they can give me a 'loaner'? I am thinking I would need to deal with AT&T on that....

4. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

My 1G is just days out of its warranty period and it went from a sync to the Apple logo screen with no letup. I did a hard reset and after a long time looking at the Apple, it came back to life. I was worried as I don't have a 3G yet!

5. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

They don't "repair" the phone. They will give you a refurbished phone and send you on your way. Its still under warranty or did you buy apple care on the phone?

6. Tom Sawyer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

According to the warranty lookup, I have about 2 weeks left of warranty so should be ok there. That makes sense... would be great if the AT&T store had some refurbs 'ready to go' for these situations. Will post back what happens after my visit....

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Unfortunately, AT&T doesn't do that for any of their phones. It's all XBM (eXchange By Mail), or if you're lucky to be near one of their device support centers, they send you there for repair... assuming the store KNOWS about the Device Service Center. Many don't.

I only know of one Device Support Center though (in NJ), and they don't service iPhones, they'll just send you to Apple.

If you're near an Apple store, MAYBE they have refurbs ready for the 1st Gen, but I doubt it.

8. Tom Sawyer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

So Lucky!

Well, as unlucky as I was that my iPhone died this weekend, my luck turned around! As it turns out, I had 2 weeks left on the warranty... AT&T store could do nothing, but at the Apple store, they swapped it out with a new (refurbed) 8gb 2G iPhone... and I'm back in business! My only loss is the screen protector I had but I picked up the new anti-glare type which I like much better. THAT was close!!! :eek:

9. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

It seems that AT&T does not trust their employees to know if a phone should be replace or not. I have had my phone replaced 2 times in the last 12 months at Apple stores with no problem. They should have lots of referbed first gen phones available.