Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StephenJDC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
About a week ago my iPhone 3G turned off, completely, and won't turn back on for love nor money... It doesn't seem to be the battery having run out, charging it for hours doesn't have any effect, and it doesn't show the low battery logo when trying to power it up. It also doesn't register when plugged into my MacBook Pro or any other computer (as in, it doesn't even show up as a USB device in System Profiler). It hasn't received any physical damage or anything, and I've taken it apart and it seems to be a-ok on the inside, no loose connectors or broken components.
The phone is nearly two years old and has been running relatively problem free until now.
Has anybody got any ideas on what could be the matter, or even better, how to fix it? Thanks!

StephenJDC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Something else that I've noticed is that there are very faint, fine lines running along the LCD. When I hard reset the phone they disappear and reappear. So there is clearly some activity in the phone, but I'm still at a loss as to what it could be.

johnoporritt

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2010
Something else that I've noticed is that there are very faint, fine lines running along the LCD. When I hard reset the phone they disappear and reappear. So there is clearly some activity in the phone, but I'm still at a loss as to what it could be.

have you tried to restore your phone?

StephenJDC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
have you tried to restore your phone?

The difficulty there is, as I did state in the first post, that it won't even get detected when being plugged into the computer, much less allow me to restore it.

And Yanal, when I plug it into the charger (or any charger for that matter) it just stays the same, the faint lines are there until I presume the battery dies. I'm pretty sure it must be some sort of hardware failure, I can't imagine what else might be the cause.

ezpar722

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
Phone not charging

I have fixed two phones that would not charge or be recognized by iTunes
Clean out the connector on the bottom of the phone with isopropyl alcohol
Lint, cat hair, etc...
You can clean your chargers as well, just unplug them first
Good luck and if anything works make sure you let us know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.