dead iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Red D, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Red D macrumors newbie

Hi

I purchased a 2nd hand 3G recently (screen broken) and since installing the new screen the phone is completely dead.

I'm 100% certain that everything is installed correctly, but theres still no power and its not recognised by my computer or itunes.

I can see the new lcd screen that was provided is damaged (blotches all over it!), but surely that wouldn't stop it powering on?

I'm sure its either;

1. Broken logic board (Ive tried the usual power/home button combo)
    2. Dead battery (I've given it an overnight charge from the wall socket)
    3. Screen related?

Is there anything else it could be, or something thats worth me trying?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Aside from the broken screen was the phone working before you fixed the screen?

3. Red D thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, according to the person I bought it from - but I have no way of proving either way :(

4. Red D thread starter macrumors newbie

I've no idea, but I'm guessing its hardware seeing as I can't get the phone on or recognised to find out.

Its the first time I've taken an iphone apart, so I may be missing something.

5. Red D thread starter macrumors newbie

anybody else any ideas what the problem could be?

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Did you try powering it on before you replaced the screen? If the one was good it should have at least accepted a charge or shown a white screen or something.

I do iPhone repairs in my town and I'm gonna guess that either the phone was bad when you got it, or you did something when you installed the new LCD and muffed up one of the parts. Basically, just take everything out and repeat the process. Depending on your technical ability, I've found that if something doesn't work, disassembling the phone completely and putting it all back together has proved useful time and time again.

7. Red D thread starter macrumors newbie

No the phone was off when I put the (broken) screen in

Ive repeated all processes about 4 times, its nothing like a loose connection.

Before I buy some parts, what could it be?

8. Red D thread starter macrumors newbie

would a damaged screen stop it powering on?

I'm just trying to work out which part to buy first - screen, battery or board :(

9. Red D thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've installed a brand new screen in the phone today and it still won't switch on, nor is it recognised by itunes.

Any other suggestions as to why the phone won't switch on?

TIA

10. Red D thread starter macrumors newbie

11. mullets macrumors newbie

best way to isolate that the problem relates to the new screen is to reinstall the old screen and see if the phone gets recognized by itunes and powers on. then you know you're "new" screen is hooped.

12. Insomnihax macrumors newbie

The issue that I see is that it's unknown whether or not the unit was functional when you received it. That can prove to be frustrating during the troubleshooting process. I haven't seen too many batteries that have gone bad. I would re-open the iPhone and double check all connections. Look for any sort of residue on the logic board. For all you know this phone could have had water or liquid damage.

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Agree. Should have tested it first upon receiving it.

14. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Too many unknown factors in this might prevent the phone power up;

1. Might be the charging dock issue/defective.
    2. Battery is totally drain and now with the dock issue, phone can't power on.
    3. Logic board is dead

If you can get a hold of a good working phone, try to switch out the logic board to see if your logic board is good or bad, then we can go the next step. before that, I don't think we can't.

Digitizer/LCD issue only preventing us to see and feel the phone, It still can detect by computer or Itunes when plug in.

15. Red D thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys

Ive installed two new screens in this and neither works, so I think we can rule it out being the screen thats the problem.

Before I splash out on a new logic board, I've ordered a new battery - so will see if that works.

Unfortunately I dont have another 3g phone I can test it in, just a 3GS :(