Dead iPhone 3Gs (will not turn on)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Dakota558, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Dakota558 macrumors member

I have an iPhone 3GS iOS 5.0, jailbroken with redsnow (tethered). Today the screen suddenly turned black, and I was unable to get it to respond. I know the phone still was on because it was warm, and stayed that way a couple of hours before it turned off (I think, because the phone got cold). I have tried to get it in dfu mode, but without success, it will not be recognized by either iTunes or redsnow.

Since I upgraded to 5.0 and jailbroke it, it has randomly turned off, but I have always been able to turn it on again, but not this time. Is there any hope or is the phone dead?

2. tigerfan macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I have had the same problem with my 3GS. I have been at it for about two weeks. Tried to get into DFU mode and boot in redsn0w with no success. I have also tried sn0wbreeze, and get the same thing. Anybody else had this same problem?

3. kickingdandies, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

kickingdandies macrumors newbie

Same thing just happened two days ago. It's on 3.1.3 unlocked and jailbroken. Any possibility this can be recovered? It just automatically shut off and won't turn back on...

-Edit:
    After more searching, it looks like it might be because of the Facebook app! Read more here: https://discussions.apple.com/message/16321641#16321641

4. tigerfan macrumors newbie

I am sure this issue does not involve a system error due to the Facebook application. This issue revolves around an iOS 5 jailbreak issue. I have replaced all parts in the 3GS but still cannot boot, as in no DFU or Recovery Modes. The phone is still not being recognized in iTunes or any jailbreak software. Any further input from anyone else would be appreciated.

5. kickingdandies macrumors newbie

I'm on iOS 3.