Dead iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MBPMax, Sep 6, 2011.

1. MBPMax macrumors member

Hi guys!

So a few days ago my iPhone 3GS suddenly died. It was in my pocket and like 5 minutes later I realized it wouldn't turn on. I tried pressing the home and the power button at the same time, but to no avail. Also, neither charging (>6h) nor connecting to my Mac seem to work. I have to admit that I dropped the phone twice - a week before and two days before it died. However, it did work flawlessly after the incidents, so I'm a little confused as to why it took so long for the aftermath of dropping it - if that was the actual cause - to become evident.

I know it's difficult to make a diagnosis without actually looking at the phone, but I was just wondering if anyone experienced this before or if anyone has an idea what could be broken? Also, do you think it's worth getting it fixed? I mean, I have an iPhone 4 on the way as replacement, but if the repair is less than 150 EUR I'd sell it or use it as a 2nd phone.

Again, I realize it's hard to say what is wrong with it, but the next Apple store is 300km away and the service center I could bring it to charges 20 EUR for a diagnosis, so I thought I'd try my luck here first!

Thanks so much!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Like you said, it's hard to say exactly why it took so long to manifest after the droppage. I don't think it's worth getting fixed as it's about to become 2 models behind and I think it's already being sold as new for like $50 in the US at some places with a 2 year plan. So I wouldn't expect that you could get it repaired for less than that, unless you did it yourself.