Dead iPhone 4. What to do?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Stinkytick, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Stinkytick macrumors newbie

Yesterday I found my iPhone 4 shut off and obviously I thought it ran out of battery. However, as I tried to charge it didn't charge ( I tried two chargers), and now it is completely dead. I can't connect to iTunes, I've tried to hard reset (lock+home), can't enter DFU. It's just a plain brick, which is odd because it was in my pocket.

Any ideas what it may be? What should I do?

Thanks

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

How long did you let it sit while charging?

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I agree, plug in to charge, and leave it alone for a few minutes. Don't try anything before that few minutes.
    You said you tried different chargers - did you also try a different cable?

Maybe this page will help:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3281

4. Stinkytick thread starter macrumors newbie

I left it at night charging and in the morning it was still dead, so I tried another charger (and cable) for at least an hour and nothing happened.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bring it to Apple or an iphone repair shop for troubleshooting.

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Dance around and go, Yeah, I can now upgrade!

Seriously, what DO YOU want to do? How much money and time and effort are you willing to try to resuscitate this phone? Are you willing/able to do some electrical troubleshooting? Are you able/willing to open it up? Since you are posting here, we assume you no longer have Applecare?

So no, there is no easy three-key combination you can push to magically bring it back to life.

8. Stinkytick thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, that's exactly what I did, however after the dance I decided to sacrifice a virgin and a lamb and suddenly the phone came back from the land of the dead.

I ended up opening the iPhone and removed the battery, hoping that it would be a bad connection between the battery and the board and in fact it was. So everything's fine now and the phone is running and charging smoothly.

Thanks everyone