Dead IPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jeder212, Aug 11, 2011.

1. jeder212 macrumors newbie

My wife was using her phone last night and she said the screen just faded and then locked up. She did a hard restart, the phone went off, but didn't come back on. I plugged it into wall thinking the battery may have just died. After an hour or more on the charger, it still wouldn't come on. I've tried just the power button and also the power + home button, nothing. I plugged the phone into my computer and iTunes does not recognize the phone. Windows doesn't even seem to recognize that a USB device has been plugged in? Anyone have any ideas?

2. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

Try DFU-Mode. If possible, restore and set it up as new. Has the iPhone any indication of water damage? Google it, if you don't know where to look.

3. jeder212 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can now get the phone into DFU mode, but when I try to restore, I get "The IPhone could not be restored. An unknown error has occurred (1601).

4. jeder212 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump??

5. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

16xx errors are caused when iTunes cannot connect to the servers for verification of firmware signing. What firmware was she running, and what were you trying to update to?

Was her phone jailbroken?

6. jeder212 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the phone was jailbroken, running 4.2 something I believe. I've tried restoring to both a 4.3.3 and the current 4.5 even though she would lose the jailbreak, we just want the phone to work at this point.

7. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

You should be able to restore to 4.3.5 without any issues, restoring the jailbreak is a bit trickier, you need to use TinyUmbrella to see what SHSH blobs you have, then run the TSS server (fakes the firmware signatures by routing to cydia's server). Then shift+click to restore with a ipsw

I'll dig up an old thread I used to restore a jailbreak.

It might be worth while to look at your hosts to make sure they aren't edited.

they are in /etc/hosts I believe.

8. jeder212 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haven't tried TinyUmbrella yet, but have checked the host because I have had them edited in the past, but they are good now. I'll try to figure out the TinyUmbrella real quick.

9. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

10. jeder212 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so I've read the whole thread, and not completely understanding it. What I did was start the TSS server, open Itunes and tried restoring to both 4.3.3 and to the current version. Now, instead of the 1601 error I am getting the 1600 error.

11. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Did you try clicking "Update Baseband" in TU before running TSS server, see if that works.

12. jeder212 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that, didn't work. Also tried all of the above on another computer with a fresh install of iTunes just in case that had anything to do with it. The phone is still under warranty, thinking about taking it back to Apple store, but I bet they will be able to tell it was jailbroken. Anymore ideas?

13. Dhelsdon, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Hmm now you've got me scratching my head. I'll do some more searching to see what I can find.

If you take it into apple while it's in DFU mode, just tell them it died and won't power on, they'll probably do a DFU restore. If it fails for them you've got yourself a brand new iPhone, you might even be lucky enough to get one running 4.3.3

Edit: Just realized you tried 4.3.3, that won't work if you don't have the SHSH blobs. Try doing the same steps with 4.2.x (whichever she had perviously) I can almost guarantee that it will work using TU's TSS Server.

If you can't remember which it was there's no harm in trying them all..

4.2b3

14. jeder212 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'll try 4.2.1 and the others as soon as I get back to the house this evening. Thanks for all the help so far!!

15. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

No worries man, I was in the same boat once so I know how it feels.

16. jeder212 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so no luck with 4.2.1 and that's what I'm positive was on the phone. I will try more over the next few days in case I am wrong about it being 4.2.1. If I have TinyUmbrella running, I get a 1600 error. If I don't have TinyUmbrella running, I get a 1601 error. I'm really wanting to take this to the Apple store, but don't want them finding out its Jailbroken.

17. Dhelsdon, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Hmmm did you check all the checkboxes in TU? That is what I had to do when downgrading. If that's what you did, reset the phone then put it into DFU mode again and retry the restore

I personally don't think they'd notice. Worst case, they manage to get it out of DFU mode and see it's jailbroken.. They already fixed it so your good.

or.. They restore it, and your phone works then you have the choice to downgrade to 4.2.1 if you want to try again.

Also, where are you getting your firmwares from? You should use http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ because they are official apple firmwares. There's a possibility that the ones you have are custom (doubt it but you never know)

18. jeder212 thread starter macrumors newbie

All the boxes were checked, but I couldn't get my SHSH blobs, because TU couldn't see device as connected. So I used a program called USB Device Viewer to find the phones ECID, then used that to make a Custom Device in TU, then used TU to connect to Cydia and get my SHSH blobs that way. It found pretty much everything for this phone from 4.2.1 to 4.3.5. I've tried restoring 4.2.1, 4.3.3 and 4.3.5. No luck with any of it.

I think a trip to the Apple Store (3 hours away) is in my future.