Dead iphone after series of unfortunate events

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Manuelp, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Manuelp macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I need your help to decide if my iphone is "broken beyond repair" or there is some hope:
    1 Bought a jailbroken iphone 3g 8gb with os 3.0 or 3.1 (not sure) and cydia. Working great for over a year. Never upgraded the os as every up I needed was working perfectly.
    2 Home button stopped working. I got around that with mquickdo
    3 few weeks later the iphone was only detected by iphoto and erratically by itunes. few more weeks and the iphone not detected at all by ANY Mac or PC and only charging via wall or car adapter but no USB.
    4 Few days later the ear microphone and proximity sensor stopped working. Still being able to use the iphone with earphones.
    5 Although I thought the issue could be software, I replaced the middle frame which contains ear mic, sensor and home button with the hope that this will allow me at least to enter DFU mode and try to fix all the issues of my iphone by later doing an os upgrade. This got the ear mic working but not the sensor or the home button. Bizarre... but with the iphone not being recognised by any computer and no home button I didn't know how to proceed...
    6 Updated cydia packages which hadn't being done for ages and here... terrible mistake. I fell asleep while doing it and woke up to a dead iphone. When not connected to charger, it wont even start. If connected to the wall or car adapter the apple logo with the spinning wheal appear but it wont go further. Sometimes it displays an empty battery sign but it won't charge or boot.

Without home button and not being detected by any computer, I can't enter DFU mode. Can you think of something that may bring my iphone back to live, or should I break my piggy bank and buy a new one?

ANY ideas welcome.

2. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

sell it for $50-$75 for parts on craigslist, then get a new one...

3. TigerBabe macrumors 6502