iPhone 6(S)(+) Dead iPhone worth selling?

pm_3331

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2018
Hello, Sorry if this has been covered on here already. But I can seem to find much information on this. My iPhone 6s 64gb won't turn on. It's been 6 months since it fell in water. I can't bring myself to throw it out and noticed that even a dead 6s (64gb) can fetch up to $50 in parts on ebay etc. My worry is that since it won't power on, I can't erase the information on it. I logged into iCloud and removed the device, which supposedly will erase it if it's ever connected to the internet again. Plus it did have the 6 digit pass code enabled. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

anitak1982

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2017
West Central Ohio
I sold a broken 4s years ago on ebay. I cleaned it out of all data and listed it as broken but removed from icloud. I put it on auction and to my surprise it went for $150. So you could try. It hadn't been dropped in water though but just wouldn't charge

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
That’s just the risk your taking by selling it. I think you should be ok. Might as well get something out of it.

pm_3331

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2018
Smash it with hammer & toss it in the trash. Nobody wants a water damaged phone even for parts
Sorry but that is not true. If you search "dead iphone water damage" on ebay you will find several in current and completed listings going for $50 or more. iphone 6 anyway

tt061282

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
I’ll be honest. All your info is still on it. That’s not worth $50. I had an X that I sold removed from my trustEd devices and somehow my passwords and info was still on it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.