Dead iPod Touch Backlight

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by EclipseGreen, Jun 21, 2009.

1. EclipseGreen macrumors newbie

I got my iPod Touch (16 GB, 1G, now with OS 2.0) about this time last year. A little over a month after I bought it, the backlight died, but everything else remained functional. There was still an image on the screen, but it needs to be held under a light to use. When I brought it to the Apple Store, they told me that there was water damage, therefore voiding the warranty. Not wanting to buy I new one, I've just lived with it for the last year. Even with the dead backlight, it's still been quite useful, particularly the apps and Safari.

I've looked into repairing it, specifically with iResQ , but never ended up sending it in (any ideas on what specifically needs to be repaired and how much it would cost?). Now as I prepare to buy a MacBook Pro for college and take advantage of the free iPod Touch offer, I am unsure of what to do with my current one. Should I repair it? Any chance I could sell it? What sort of price could I expect to get (everything else is in good/very good condition; I have a hard plastic case and screen protector on at all times)?

2. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Try listing under eBay with a working logic board, but somewhat broken screen. You should get a decent price for it.
    Good luck!

3. KrazyKuul macrumors regular

You could buy a screen and backlight combo from ebay or an iPod parts source, but If I were you, I'd get it repaired professionally since I have been known to get dust under the screen of things I have taken apart.

4. EclipseGreen thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess right now I'm trying to weigh the cost of a repair over how much I'll actually make by selling it. I can't imagine a repair to be under $100. Ignoring the cost I originally paid for it ($400), do you think I can at least recoup the cost of a repair, plus maybe a little profit?