dead keyboard after rain

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by burgurboy, Mar 3, 2011.

1. burgurboy, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

burgurboy macrumors newbie

I've got a late 2007 white macbook 2.2 w/ 2 gigs o' ram. Shipped with leopard and the "version" 2 keyboard.

long story short...
    - i rode my bike to work tuesday
    - it started pouring rain halfway to work
    - i (somehow) forgot to zip up my backpack
    - macbook got wet...

that night, I took the macbook all the way apart and set the logic board in a bag-o-rice for 24 hours. then blew everything out with air.

I put it all back together last night. The only button that works on the top case is the power button. trackpad, keys, etc... all dead.

For some strange reason it seems keychain lost all of my passwords... my email and ichat were all screwed up. For about 15 minutes it did not recognize my battery; suddenly, it randomly recognized it and now it works fine...

Now, all that's left is my top case... Do you guys think a simple top case replacement would solve it? or, could i possibly have messed up something in the logic board?

I dont wanna shell out big $$$ on a top case, only to find it was the logic board...

side note:
    I thought it was pretty cool that even after a FULL teardown of my computer... it still booted from the sleep image, just like it was, right before being drowned in florida rain...
    Gotta love those macs;)

2. jljue macrumors regular

It's probably the board in the top case that is gone, if it's built anything like the pre-unibody MBP's. Since the power button works, which is on the top case, chances are that a replacement top case should work for you. I've bought broken pre-unibody MBP's before that had liquid spilled on the keyboards, and a top case replacement fixed the keyboard and touch pad issues.