Dead keyboard even with new topcase and OS install

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TimR, Jun 25, 2010.

1. TimR macrumors newbie

Macbook A1185

My MacBook's keyboard and track-pad stopped working following the last OS update. All works well with an external keyboard and mouse but no amount of P-ram of power-unit resets helped. Also the keyboard is not found in the system profiler. Booting from an external device also made no difference, but I reformatted and reinstalled 10.6 regardless.

In the end I concluded it must be a keyboard fault and fitted a new topcase making sure everything was well attached - still nothing.

I'm not sure there is anywhere left to go with this except to conclude it is a logic-board fault?

Relevant?

All works normally if using an external keyboard and mouse.

There is often a significant delay following hitting the start button to the the drive spinning up, almost as if the machine was searching for the keyboard.

The laptop has not suffered and thumps or falls - as least as far as you can tell with a toddler in the house.

Comments would be most welcome.

Many thanks

2. johnnyham macrumors regular

It could indeed be a logic board problem. Have you tried the top case on another Macbook (if you have access to one)? I accidentally tore the ribbon cable on an early 2006 Macbook and had to replace it. The top case worked fine for about a year until the backlight failed, then it stopped working. It also works fine with an external keyboard/mouse/monitor.

Of course, it could also be that you just happened to get a faulty keyboard. Very unlikely, but possible.

As a further note, how are you powering it on via an external keyboard?

3. TimR thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, that is something I should have mentioned - I can still power it on using the button on the top-case. No access to another machine unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply.

4. TimR thread starter macrumors newbie

5. TimR thread starter macrumors newbie

New topcase returned for replacement just in case.. I keep you posted