Dead Keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by immobilus, Sep 10, 2015.

1. immobilus macrumors member

Hi all:

Today I was working on a project and the bizarre occurred. My keyboard stopped being responsive. I would log out and try to login, or reboot to do the same, and all keys would return three unknown characters on the password field. I was able to get into safe mode, and the keyboard did the same. It was returning something like: FGHT[ for every character.

I kept rebooting and it finally worked. I got back into OSX. I had to go on a quick journey to my car, and when I returned the keyboard was being unresponsive.

I tried to reset PRAM/SMC, but it won't do that because the keys aren't functioning. I tried to get into restore mode to do a clean install. That wouldn't work because the keys are no responsive.

I was able to fenagel my way into recovery from triggering the reset password login process by not entering my password within 5 minutes. From there I set the start up disk to my USB drive, which has OS X install on it. I'm doing a clean install of Yosemite now.

I'm concerned it's not going to work though because if the keyboard wasn't working prior to loading OSX, that tends to suggest a hardware issue. The bizarre thing is that the Power button works.

If reinstalling Yosemite doesn't work, anyone have any thoughts for making it work? Nothing happened to the keyboard at all. No spills. It sounds like a connection issue internally, but then why does the power button work?

2. immobilus thread starter macrumors member

P.S.

Backlight doesn't appear to be working either.