Dead LED on new 24in LED display? Now resolved by Apple store

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 53x12, Oct 23, 2009.

1. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

So after getting a new 24in ACD, after my original ACD had a power supply issue, I am starting to notice that on a black screen (black power point slide shows it the best or a movie in widescreen) there are a few areas on the black screen where there are areas of white when the screen is on. I don't notice any dust under the screen. I am only 3 days into the 14 day return policy, so I am really tempted to just head back to the Apple store and swap it out for another screen. I didn't have this issue with my previous ACD, just the power supply issue.

2. umgoblue2008 macrumors regular

umgoblue2008

if you are within 14 days i'd say take it back absolutely. with how much you paid for the thing you should be fully satisfied.

3. Lloyd Christmas macrumors regular

I would so return it. after dropping close to a grand on the monitor, i would return it even if i had one doubt that something was wrong with it. Lloyd

4. monkeybear macrumors newbie

White areas or white pixels? That's a big difference! The white areas could mean that the controller or something is busted. If it's pixels then it depends on how many the manufacturer allows. Some are higher than the others. Sounds like stuck pixels to me.

I had a camera with two stuck pixels, I sent it back and they just sent it back and said that two stuck pixels was "acceptable".

I would call them to check, but if it's "area" then defintiely return it!

5. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

If it's a dead pixel, just use this thing and strobe the hell out of it. It'll get the hint.

6. 53x12 thread starter macrumors 68000

53x12

Just wanted to follow up on the thread. Went to Apple store today for my appointment at the genius bar. Showed him the problem with the display and he did some tests. With the overhead fluorescent lighting it wasn't as pronounced as when I am at home, however he still was able to see the flaw and since it was within 14 days he would talk to the manager and see what they could do.

The manager comes over and says he is really sorry for the trouble and understands that my first ACD 24in had the power supply issue and now this issue with the screen. He said they almost never have issues with the display. He said he wanted to do things right and would be happy to take it back for an exchange but wasn't sure what else he could do. I mentioned that I was thinking of just asking for store credit to get the new quad core 27in iMac when they come out next month since I could use that for an external display and was planning on getting a MacMini eventually to have something at home with the ACD when I am out of town for the family to use. I asked him if maybe I could just get the store credit for the monitor and put that towards the new computer. He said sure he would be happy to do that and for my troubles would cut me a little discount on the iMac for having to deal with two monitors that didn't work properly. I said that would be great and was curious how that would work since I have an educational discount and if it would be one or the other? He said "no, he would be happy to use both of them for me."

So score one for Apple. Got almost $1000 back for the display +tax. Have $600 budget for a new computer from my account at work. So depending on how much of a discount the manger wants to give me, looks like I will only have to pay out $300-400. Not bad at all and that makes me :D. :apple: Rocks!

7. umgoblue2008 macrumors regular

umgoblue2008

Great news. Apple might have some QC problems but their service is pretty good (at least in the US). They replaced my Air's hinge (which was about 600$) and the keyboard (200$) for free 11 months into my purchase.

8. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

You're not really paying out "only $300-$400" for the iMac....don't forget you paid almost $1,000 out for the initial monitor. Why wouldn't the store manager jump at that....Apple still has the "time value" of your original $1,000 to earn interest with, while you're holding a store credit.

9. 53x12 thread starter macrumors 68000

53x12

Actually it is only $300-400 out of pocket my friend because the monitor was covered by funds from work. :) So yes, I will be getting my own personal quad core iMac for only $300-400 of my own money. :D And it isn't my money they are holding onto to make interest, it is from my job. Actually you know what fhall, it is part your money since my job is funded by the Federal Gov and your tax money ;).

10. Aboo macrumors 6502a

So what I don't get with your comment is how your job's contribution to purchasing the ACD now become your money. If they paid for the ACD, then don't they technically own it, and since you returned the ACD, isn't the 1000+$ your company's money? Unless of course, that they gave you $1,000 bucks to buy the ACD for your personal use, in which case its still an income to you for which you would have tax liability and an opportunity cost associated with it.

11. 53x12 thread starter macrumors 68000

53x12

The problem is that both you and fhall made general assumptions and implied things based on limited info from my post and not knowing the whole story. :rolleyes: Not sure exactly why you have to assume things based on what I wrote, rather than just accept what I said rather than try to prove me wrong.

Without having to indulge too much personal info; I don't work personally for the federal government but rather for a university in medical research. My salary and personal research costs (equipment, computers, travel expenses...etc.) is funded and supported by the federal government in a training grant. The computer however is considered to be my personal computer from the beginning (not the university's or the governments) and I get to keep it at the end of the program. The cost for my two computers (MBP and iMac) is not considered income by the federal government and there is no tax liability associated with it.

12. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Not sure how that would pass strict scrutiny by a gov't contracting inspector general or an IRS auditor, but more power to you if it works that way once a university is involved.

13. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

Not to get too far off topic, but I believe that is a standard practice. My mother, a high school teacher, took some computer related course about 10 years ago through a grant/school system and was allowed to keep the laptop she was provided at the completion of the training. I guess it's just kind of how these things go.

14. 53x12 thread starter macrumors 68000

53x12

Actually that is the way these things are handled in my field of work. The money provided by the grant is actually used to support my salary, those that work for me, as well as the equipment and supplies I use. There is nothing illegal about this. If I submitt a grant for funding and need to purchase a surgical microscope, a RT-PCR machine, a new computer system, or a new industrial strength deep freezer to store samples for my study, at the end of the study those items don't go back to the government and it is not considered as income. Obviously one needs to keep careful records of what the money was spent on incase one is audited. However if the grant money is spent on approved items, there is no issue. Hence the situation that I am in.

Yep exactly, that is typically how these things work.

15. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Damn....I knew I should have gone to work for a university lab instead of a gov't lab. :)

16. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

17. 53x12 thread starter macrumors 68000

53x12

:D

Will be getting it :). Just waiting for Apple to start shipping the quad core iMacs. Will probably still be a few weeks until that happens. :cool: