Dead Logic Board- Fix or New Laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dsiee, Apr 25, 2012.

1. dsiee macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am a consistent reader (daily) of macrumors but post very little.
    My 2.2Ghz 15" Early 2011 MBP's logic board has **** itself, or more specificaly the ram dimm sockets have. to get a new logic board is going to cost me AU$1000 plus labour. i'm not sure if i should go this, get a MBA 13" or wait for MBP Refresh. can't wait too long as school goes back soon and will need something.

Just wondering what you guys would do?
    i use my mac for

- School- word and internet
    - iTunes and garage band (just mucking around)
    - Arduino Programing (just about anything can handle this)
    - xcode
    - Flash CS5 (for school, nothing too intensive)

Thanks all, Jesse

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Have you still got any warranty or Applecare remaining? That would be my first port of call....If not, a LB replacement is expensive and it might be better to consider a new machine...Seems poor for a Logic Borad to die in what is a relatively new machine. Did you do anything to cause the failure? And what makes you think it's the RAM socket's that are dead...It's not a part of the LB that usually causes problems unless you attempted an upgrade that went wrong?

3. dsiee thread starter macrumors newbie

The apple authorized repair agent said that was what was wrong.

No applecare, made the (wrong) choice to save the $300. 12 months ran out a month ago.

i think it is strange for the logic board to go too, must just be unlucky?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes I think you are...No consolation though, but try this...Apple have been known to replace machines that are just out of warranty...First PHONE them (Don't bother with the genius bar) explain how disappointed you are with the Mac, and go on at some length about the legendary reliability of Apple products. Your acting skills are paramount here...I have known friends get fixed up tang this route...Good Luck!:)

5. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I would suggest that you call Apple Care asap. As mentioned above, you are 30 days out of warranty and they have been known to be a little compassionate. They just might surprise you and complete the repair.