Dead Logicboard; AppleCare says accidental and I don't agree. Help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DGB18, Sep 9, 2009.

1. DGB18 macrumors newbie

So the other day I was on may 15" Macbook Pro which is about 2 years old when I closed it to do some tasks. When I returned the MBP was in permanent sleep mode. I took it to my local Apple store and they shipped it off to Apple Repair. I soon recieved an email that said b/c of spills and "impact" damage it would cost 1200 to fix. For starters I have never spilt any liquid on my laptop and the few drops it has had were minor and the computer worked fine for quite some time before this. The pictures of the "spill" proof was on the LCD which I had cleaned before I sent it off. I am not happy about this and all I believe the MBP needs is a new Logicboard and not a new upper/lower case lcd harddrive optical drive etc.. What should I do if Apple won't fix it for free since I can't afford the repairs and how can I convince Apple it wasn't accidental.

Thanks.

2. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

You do not say what model 15" MBP you have, but they have sensors that change color, (I think), that tells Apple if you spilled anything.

I would suggest you buy a logic board from eBay or other websites, and make the repair yourself. You only need a couple of tools, like a philips screwdriver and a Torx driver. The MBP is very easy to take apart and put back together. Go to ifixit.com and watch their video to repair.

Hope this helps.

3. oneEG6 macrumors member

You can't convince them of it not being accidental. If your casing is dented up, and there's indication of liquid spills, they're not going to cover your repair. it's considered abuse. Sorry, wish I had something more positive to say, but working as a technician it's how I'd call it.

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

They said impact damage so forget about liquid spillage, etc.; that doesn't concern them, or at least it isn't the primary reason for the rejection. They must have noted some sort of damage to the machine that resulted from one or more of the drops that the machine was subjected to. It doesn't matter if those drops resulted in the present situation or not, only that they caused damage to the machine, cosmetic or otherwise. You could call Apple customer support and perhaps speak to a higher-up but beyond that the official channel may be closed-off to you.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm going to have to agree with most that have already posted. If Apple sees dents, you're going to have a hard time proving that the dents didn't affect the computer. Would you have pictures of your computer before you sent it off?

6. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Gotta love that aluminum! The best marketing and cost saving Apple has ever done. "Sorry, MBP dented, damaged goods, warranty voided"

That's another reason why I BABY my laptop.