Dead Mac - ALIVE! & then dead again

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bitethe, Mar 23, 2010.

1. bitethe macrumors newbie

This all started a few days ago with a power outage. After the interuption, I turned my G4 MDD off & then back on - I got to the grey screen with apple & the spinning "hash-marked" wheel. It sat there for a while & then I got the black screen telling me things weren't o.k. in several languages - what I now understand is the kernel-panic screen.

Anyhow, I replaced the PRAM Battery. I know I paid too much but I needed to get the machine back up & running - $20 @ Radioshack for a Tandon 3.6 volt 1/2-AA Battery TL-5902 (Enercel is the R.S. house brand). I also found 1 bad stick of Ram.

I replaced the main HDD that the OS was installed on with another HDD - wiped it, partitioned it & installed Tiger. Things seem to be fine now.

2. isgoed macrumors 6502

It's hard to follow what you are telling and I think few people still use your hardware. Seeing that the cause of your problem was a power failure, it might be that the hard disk is damaged. It is best to make sure you have a backup. If all else fails go to the configuration, where you had the two hard disks running and reinstall.

3. bitethe thread starter macrumors newbie