DEAD MAC HELP - Power Light Pulses

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iriejedi, Apr 2, 2008.

1. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Wish it was April first and I could think this was an Apple joke... but it is not April first was a fine day with my Power Mac G5 (ligid cooled PPC 2 X 2.5).

So I started it up and nothign happened - the power cam on , the fans rev'ed adn that was it.

The power light kept repeating three pulses. Which I think was the international symbol for S.O.S.

The fans 'slowly' picked up speed.

I can not find pulsing light info on the Apple support sight. Does anyone know what this warning means?

Bad Power Supply.... NEW COMPUTER??? (Wife opposes that solution).

2. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

No bong + no video + flashing light + fans running = bad logic board. :(

Have you checked the unit for leaks? Some liquid-cooled G5 units had this problem.

3. Poogis macrumors member

I would say RAM too as I had this same problem on my G5.

I took out the RAM I had installed, left the factory installed RAM and it was fine.

4. iriejedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Thank you - RAM death plausable??

UPDATE: Dismantled it - put in RAM back in Bank by Bank it booted each time. YEAH!!!!!

Then sealed it up - three flashing lights. Again!!!!! Took two banks out (3 sets full) - no boot.

Does this point to Mother board?

Is that worth fixing?

-==-=-=--==-=--==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--==-=--=
    What are the odds the RAM I have had for 3 years suddenly fails?

I have not heard of this happening before. Is it plausable?

Thank you.

5. mattmac macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me on a 2008 MP 2.8 octo just 3 weeks old.

On startup no chime, no grey screen, nothing, just a pulsing power light. Knackered logic board and both processors, apple couldn't get replacements so gave me new mac. I was told by Apple that if this is going to happen it would most probably happen after a few weeks and after a year or so.

6. iriejedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Time to move on

Time to move on. Yeah the repair was almost $800 and new machine even stock is WAY better then this 4 year old baby. She was a good machine....

So my new question - will my old hard drive will fit in the new computer. Should I bother? Should I just use Time machine? it is an old 160gig drive.... maybe just format it.

Any thoughts?

7. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I had this problem on my Mac Pro, it was related to the 3rd party non-Apple RAM that I had installed. Running all the firmware updates (SMC and EFI), and everything finally fixed it. I have all my 3rd party RAM back in and it's running like a charm. Make sure you run all the software updates. This could fix it.