Dead Macbook Air

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by richard6r, Sep 11, 2013.

1. richard6r macrumors regular

Hi all.

Today started off as a good day. I noticed that my fans were running a lot higher than usual even though there was no heat coming from the side. I turned the macbook off through the shutdown sequence by clicking the apple. Turning it back on it would "chime" and then immediately turn off.

Perplexed I tried resetting the SMC several times, no go. I booted into my time machine and disk utility immediately gave up the error "Invalid Extent entry". Never heard of it before. But long story short DiskWarrior isn't able to fix it because it hasn't been updated for Mavericks. Time Machine has a month old backup but I'd rather have a recent one (lots of things were saved in the gap) so what can I do?

I don't have a recovery partition either because when I ran the update for DP7 it deleted itself. I booted up the backup USB Mountain Lion and this is how I'm typing right now.

Please Help! :(

2. chanquete69 macrumors newbie

If you can boot your Air from a USB disk, your macbook air isn't dead. Mavericks is still in development so I doubt you can receive support for your problem, so the only thing I think you can do is reinstall your operating system (Mavericks Developer Preview or Mountain Lion, you decide). If your problem is that you cannot access your files, have you got any other Mac where you can connect your Air in Target Disk Mode? This way you can access your Macbook Air's SSD Drive as a External Disk Drive on the other Mac. If your Air's have thunderbolt, you need another mac with thunderbolt to connect it.

Hope this helps you! :)

3. richard6r thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply chanquete. Unfortunately my SSD drive decided it was time to self implode inside my MacBook.

Apple will be replacing it