Dead Macbook Pro as 2nd monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sk8monkey, Jul 29, 2012.

1. sk8monkey macrumors newbie

Hi,

My 2008 Macbook Pro died from a failed logic board recently and I can't afford to get it replaced. I spent nearly $4000 on it when it came out and I feel like it's just going to waste. Is there anyway I can use it as a 2nd external monitor for my Mac Pro?

Thanks in advance!

Matt.

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

3. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

If you are not scared to take your dead macbook apart, go read this:

http://russell.heistuman.com/2010/04/27/cooking-the-books-or-baking-my-macbook-pro-logic-board/

I fixed 2 2008 mbp as of now with this trick.

But first, call apple (or go to an apple store) because if you got it less than 4 years ago, there is a chance that apple will fix it for free, if the gpu is the cause.

The 2 I fixed were out of warranty by a couple of months, but if you got yours later than july 30th in 2008 you are still good to go.

----------

Read this about the extended warranty:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

4. Sgtarky macrumors regular

why did they go back with nvidia? makes me almost not buy a new mbpro, I already nixed the rmbp because the soldered in drives and ram I might nix the cmbp because of the nvidia card....or just look for unsold pre cmbp's

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

No, it's definitely possible. Just far more work than most people are likely willing to put in. I've seen it done. You have to figure out what pins are what on the monitor cable and sync them up with a video input, as well as make the two signals compatible. Not really worth it, but a fun project.

So "no way at all" just isn't true.

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

well sure if you want to go through all that trouble anything is possible.

7. sk8monkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses everyone.

FrancoisC - That looks like a promising temporary fix, but I really don't have the ability to do that.

edit: it was purchased in February of 08.