"Dead" MacBook Pro Came Back from Apple Care with Missing Keys

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kylemunz, Jan 17, 2010.

1. kylemunz macrumors newbie

On Christmas Eve I turned off my computer on my desk. After holiday dinner I came back and tried to turn it on and it wouldn't.

I asked around and found out it might be a problem with the logic board (apparently macbook pros from '07-early '08 had have a lot, and the fix was free). The Geniuses agreed it was probably a logic board problem, but they said even though mine is from 03/08 it didn't have the faulty logic board. Ok, fine. They said it would be $310~.

Anyway, off it went. Then I got an email saying there was liquid damage and multiple drop damage. Ok, I spilt a tiny bit Diet Coke on i months ago that never effected anything. But they said this also effected the Harddrive (which I had to have repaired for free under warranty in March '09) and Optical Drive. So they sent it back.

Ok, so I understand how Apple Repair works, and I'm not even going to complain about it. Of course they're going to say the liquid and some of the bumps and scratches on their tinny aluminum housing is to blame, but because this had worked find for months and hadn't had any problems I'm still thinking there's an off chance that I could find someone else to replace the Logic Board it might work.

I mean, at this point, what do I possible have to lose? Though, I've seen logic board replacements estimated from anywhere from $300 to $1300.

Well, I picked my computer up yesterday and didn't even look at it in the store.

I opened it later that night and realized two keys were missing.

I just spent, and I kid you not, 45 minutes (most of it on hold) on the phone with apple care about why my computer came back in worse condition than when it went it.

They're of course giving me the run around and said they basically won't be able to replace my keys at all and after 45 minutes I had pretty much had enough. Apple obviously think that I dropped this computer down three flights of stairs into a pool of gravy and am not even worthy of getting my D and F back.

Has anyone ever had their computer come back in worse condition, even if it is "dead"? Is there any recourse I can take. Because, listen, I know there's little chance that this thing may ever work again, but if it does I don't want to have to pay for a new keyboard as well.

2. Jamesl94 macrumors regular

Maaaan, that sucks.

Will give you mine :) D F

Sorry, couldn't resist :p

3. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Call Apple care and ask to peak to some at Level/Tier 2 and tell them the situation.

4. wilro15 macrumors newbie

Wow Apple customer service really seems to suck. This fills me with trepidation.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Why?
    Indeed this one issue is aweful especially for the op. I'm confident that it will get resolved quickly

apple has a good track record with customer service and one bad episode does not make a bad company

6. wilro15 macrumors newbie

Its not just the missing D and F that is bad, but the fact that they won't do anything about it afterwards.

However I take your point that this is just once case out of thousands of others that probably went without a hitch.

7. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

I've only had good experiences with Apple Care. I had my LCD display replaced when it had a defect that worsened with time on my MBP as well as two faulty batteries on my MBP over two years. Absolutely happy with their service. I am sure that the OP will be able to get this sorted.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not saying it isn't an intolerable situation. One that should never have happened, but rather its the exception rather then the rule.

That of course doesn't help the OP much :(

9. kylemunz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I've generally had good experiences with apple care in the past. They just fixed my hard drive under warranty in March, and they even waved the fee to see if they could recover anything.

I probably just got a person on a bad day who wasn't understanding what I was saying. In their view my computer is with out hope and I told her I completely understood that and respected that policy, but just wanted to know on the off chance if I got it up again would they replace the keys.

She just restated why, in Apples view, the computer was without hope.

Meanwhile, I'm going to take it to another store. I had someone say it could be a problem as minimal as malfunctioning RAM.

10. dankybear macrumors regular

Yeah, this is weird. Applecare has been nothing but excellent for me, even providing me with what I thought were reasonable estimates for fixing my computer. My logic board, keyboard, and LCD "cables" only cost $300 to repair...

11. czerney macrumors member

I bought my MBP 15" in Nov 07 and since then AppleCare have been great.
    They have:
    * Replaced my screen (couple dead pixels) all done and dusted and returned in less than 2 business days!
    * Repaired faulty/underpowered usb port.
    * Assisted with battery issues - replaced my battery with a new one at around 2 years of age.
    * Assistance with corrupt iphoto library following inability to restore to a snowleopard OS from a leopard timemachine backup.
    * Replaced power adaptor that blew up.

I think I was just unlucky that all these things went wrong, certainly the mac has been running smooth and fast ever since that last fix.

I would like to get a new mac in time but I fear the one I have will never die.

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Dude! I'm about to blow a gasket. Applecare quality has blown as of late. My Penryn MBP (classic) has been working fine up until about a month ago. Then I had dreaded high pitched whine and screen blotches. No problem. I bring it in, they replace the screen but didn't fix the whine (which I specifically mentioned to them). Ok thats cool. I just have to pop my SSD out (again, I can do a hd swap by memory now). I bring it back and they replace the audio I/O board. Ok, that's cool.

Oh guess what now the right speaker is out.

I SWORE that I was going deaf seriously because I couldn't figure out why I had to turn my MBP all the way up to hear. Youtube videos and iTunes were pretty low . This morning I tried to listen to some tunes and I noticed that only one speaker was kicking. I'm pretty livid right now.

I left negative feedback on the Apple website about the initial whine issue which prompted managerial contact. They paid extra attention to me last time to make sure i was taken care of , even addressing me by name when I walked in. I'll leave "postive" (is this ebay? :D) feedback this time because i'm sure it's just a mistake but....just dunno 'bout apple as of late. :(

Anyway OP sorry about your problems. Keep in contact and hopefully you'll get your issue resolved.