Dead MacBook Pro Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Angels&Airwaves, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Angels&Airwaves macrumors member

Sep 24, 2007
    Guys and Gals,

Got a question about a 2008 model MacBook Pro that's dead. I'm looking to get rid of (bartering, selling, etc on craigslist), and I need to know what could be wrong with it. The computer does chime when it starts up. The display does not turn on, and the sleep light stays on non-stop. I'm guessing it's the video card. I'd like to know if there's a way to tell if the logic board is involved with the problem. Is there any way I can test this? I thought about trying to boot the dead laptop up while using my other one as a monitor to see if it would work. Please let me know! Thanks.
  2. Mersailios macrumors regular

Oct 23, 2011
    I would recommend connecting the MacBook Pro to an external display, perhaps it's not the graphics processing unit but rather the display itself.
  3. duffer6 macrumors 6502

Feb 13, 2011
    If it is the video card I believe you own the model that had an warranty extension that required Apple to replace the logic board free of charge. I would go that route first.
  4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

Feb 4, 2009
    Northern District NY
    Agreed. Don't want to jump to selling something worth value yet! If that doesn't work out then Target disk mode via firewire on another computer..don't need a GPU for that...or better yet screen sharing.
  5. Angels&Airwaves thread starter macrumors member

Sep 24, 2007
    Whoa, I didn't know about that warranty replacement; that's awesome! Looks like I'll be getting this one fixed because it does have the affected video unit. Thank you!!!!