Dead MacBook Pro Question

Angels&Airwaves

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Guys and Gals,

Got a question about a 2008 model MacBook Pro that's dead. I'm looking to get rid of (bartering, selling, etc on craigslist), and I need to know what could be wrong with it. The computer does chime when it starts up. The display does not turn on, and the sleep light stays on non-stop. I'm guessing it's the video card. I'd like to know if there's a way to tell if the logic board is involved with the problem. Is there any way I can test this? I thought about trying to boot the dead laptop up while using my other one as a monitor to see if it would work. Please let me know! Thanks.

Mersailios

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2011
I would recommend connecting the MacBook Pro to an external display, perhaps it's not the graphics processing unit but rather the display itself.

duffer6

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
Guys and Gals,

Got a question about a 2008 model MacBook Pro that's dead. I'm looking to get rid of (bartering, selling, etc on craigslist), and I need to know what could be wrong with it. The computer does chime when it starts up. The display does not turn on, and the sleep light stays on non-stop. I'm guessing it's the video card. I'd like to know if there's a way to tell if the logic board is involved with the problem. Is there any way I can test this? I thought about trying to boot the dead laptop up while using my other one as a monitor to see if it would work. Please let me know! Thanks.
If it is the video card I believe you own the model that had an warranty extension that required Apple to replace the logic board free of charge. I would go that route first.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Northern District NY
If it is the video card I believe you own the model that had an warranty extension that required Apple to replace the logic board free of charge. I would go that route first.
Agreed. Don't want to jump to selling something worth value yet! If that doesn't work out then Target disk mode via firewire on another computer..don't need a GPU for that...or better yet screen sharing.

Angels&Airwaves

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Whoa, I didn't know about that warranty replacement; that's awesome! Looks like I'll be getting this one fixed because it does have the affected video unit. Thank you!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.