Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Colleycol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2012
Well my 4 yr 2 month old Macbook Pro has the logic board failure. Took it in and they diagnosed it.* Told me I have to pay for it. Of course i had some choice words to the store manager about this "premium" product.** I thought a premium product that really made it money on brand loyalty would be better and do better.
Well I am officially done with Apple and their premium brand and this is why.....
To the store manager:
Q:* So you are saying the product was manufactured with a defective part and there is a time limit on when i can get a defective part, which came installed on my brand new $2,000 laptop, replaced?
A: Yes
Way to stand by your product Apple!
She said, "I know you want products to last a lifetime.". No smartie, i want them manufactured without faulty components and then support that cares if they are.
Any one know how much i can get for a mint condition 2008 build with a bad logic board?* I will use the funds to build me a pc.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Well my 4 yr 2 month old Macbook Pro has the logic board failure. Took it in and they diagnosed it.* Told me I have to pay for it. Of course i had some choice words to the store manager about this "premium" product.** I thought a premium product that really made it money on brand loyalty would be better and do better.
Well I am officially done with Apple and their premium brand and this is why.....
To the store manager:
Q:* So you are saying the product was manufactured with a defective part and there is a time limit on when i can get a defective part, which came installed on my brand new $2,000 laptop, replaced?
She said, "I know you want products to last a lifetime.". No smartie, i want them manufactured without faulty components and then support that cares if they are.
Any one know how much i can get for a mint condition 2008 build with a bad logic board?* I will use the funds to build me a pc.

Is that the one with the nvidia 9800gt (or something like that?) Take it to another apple store, or sue them in small claims court. Under the terms of their settlement with nvidia, nvidia pays for the repairs, not apple.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
To the store manager:

I'm sorry, I know you're on an Apple forum, and there could be some comments that may be passed off as biased but...

No product really lasts forever, 4 years is already a very good lifespan. I know you paid for a premium product, but if electronics lasts forever, then my washing machine wouldn't need to be replaced every year... It's sad, but you can't expect them to fix something for free unless your under some warranty, if you don't mind me asking, how much did they want for the repair?

Colleycol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2012
I'm sorry, I know you're on an Apple forum, and there could be some comments that may be passed off as biased but...

No product really lasts forever, 4 years is already a very good lifespan. I know you paid for a premium product, but if electronics lasts forever, then my washing machine wouldn't need to be replaced every year... It's sad, but you can't expect them to fix something for free unless your under some warranty, if you don't mind me asking, how much did they want for the repair?

$500 bucks.

I guess i am unrealistic then so i will take my chances with another manufracturer.

If my car was built with a bad steering column, i want it replaced. If it goes bad day 1 or day 500, its a bad component. Unrealistic perhaps.

Scarrus

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
Actually generally speaking 4yrs is a short lifespan for computer electronics.
Hell my overclocked CPU in my windows machine is 4 years old and still kicking... (from 2.4Ghz to 3.2Ghz!)

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
$500 bucks.

I guess i am unrealistic then so i will take my chances with another manufracturer.

If my car was built with a bad steering column, i want it replaced. If it goes bad day 1 or day 500, its a bad component. Unrealistic perhaps.

That's a very bad comparison. If your car had a defect then it should be repaired under warranty or covered by some other means. If your car just had a problem randomly out of the blue, out of warranty, then it's your problem no matter what.

Same goes with computers. They're not invincible. If it's not a defect issue, then its your problem.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Sorry your computer is fried. But you're not going to get any different treatment from any computer manufacturer. They have a warranty, and if it fails outside the warranty, then it's on you to repair it.

LividChihuahua

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
$500 bucks.

You are currently on day 1,520, making your comparison even more flawed. Just as a car, once the warranty is up you have to pay for it ro be fixed. Nothing lasts for ever, and just because your computer dies doesn't mean it had a defective logic board, things break, laptops are more susceptible that desktops, learn to deal.

Mind you if you want to just wine about it I'm sure nobody here will care if you leave.

As a note $500 to fix isn't bad considering they wanted $780 to fix the screen on my macbook that was only worth $500.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

Keep in mind this is a forum where a lot of people mention how their old G4s still work, and often use this to justify the pricing. With this defect, it wasn't unique to Apple. I'm not familiar with how other manufacturers took care of it. I should mention that I don't think of ANY computer as a premium product. Consumer electronics are essentially trash products. With the manufacturing volume of these components, they're not perfect. In this case one of them was defective, and NVidia didn't handle the situation well. I liked my last couple ipods. Both had dead batteries within 2 years, and it's a pain in the ass to replace them or have them replaced. Are they nice? Yes.. but they're still disposable products. These things should be made to last until they're simply outpaced.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
People have successfully sued apple over this issue. Good luck.

Apart from that, I don't know how it helps you to attack a store manager about something that he/she can not change or fix. I don't think that Apple advertises their laptops as lasting longer than the competition.

At least in my field, Macs are not known for being particularly durable - just very convenient and functional. Some people might have started the "premium product" talk to justify a higher product price, but it doesn't have much to do with durability... after all, most of the internals are the same as in most other PCs.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Sorry your computer is fried. But you're not going to get any different treatment from any computer manufacturer. They have a warranty, and if it fails outside the warranty, then it's on you to repair it.

I think not.

OP's MBP has a logic board containing a GPU with a known fault. The manufacturer of the GPU are paying for any faulty logic boards with this component to be replaced under an extended warranty program.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
I think not.

OP's MBP has a logic board containing a GPU with a known fault. The manufacturer of the GPU are paying for any faulty logic boards with this component to be replaced under an extended warranty program.

They have a way to test if it's the Nvidia issue, no? I'm assuming if they didn't offer to repair it, the failure wasn't because of the GPU. I could be wrong. Like you say, maybe they are replacing any logic board failure of that generation computer.

Colleycol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2012
I think not.

Right.

Some guys in this thread act like i want something for nothing.

Normal wear and tear for a non-defective item from start, i agree.

The GPU/board was bad from day 1.

----------

They have a way to test if it's the Nvidia issue, no? I'm assuming if they didn't offer to repair it, the failure wasn't because of the GPU. I could be wrong. Like you say, maybe they are replacing any logic board failure of that generation computer.

Once again, it is Nvidia but it 2 months over a 4 yr limit. They confirmed it.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Right.

Some guys in this thread act like i want something for nothing.

Normal wear and tear for a non-defective item from start, i agree.

The GPU/board was bad from day 1.

----------

Once again, it is Nvidia but it 2 months over a 4 yr limit. They confirmed it.

Sorry buddy. That's no good.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Apple can be numpties about the 8600GT issue. They'll replace it if the graphics start behaving strangely e.g. artifacts. As soon as it doesn't boot then it's a full cost replacement as "we can't prove it's the GPU".

It's a load of rot and a very poor show to boot. It's not costing Apple a dime as Nvidia are picking up the tab.

Perhaps make a few phone calls and generally be a nuisance. You've got nothing to lose but a couple of hours of your time. The 4 years thing really doesn't wash. If it's faulty design then it'll stay that way for ever, not just 4 years.

Luckily I've never owned one, if I had and it failed I'd have been kicking and screaming from the rooftops, then taking them to the small claims court.

Colleycol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2012
Sorry buddy. That's no good.

Hey its life and I have made the decision to move on and not support Apple. My choice as a consumer.

I just want to sell what i have to help fund my next endeavor.

Anyone know where or how much i could sell for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.