Dead Macbook Pro, Unsatisfied with Genius Bar Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by megageorge, Nov 2, 2010.

1. megageorge macrumors member

tl;dr: My third logic board has failed on me and the Genii want to give me a fourth one. I'm not happy with the way my problem has been dealt with.

I have an early 2008 Macbook Pro (the ones released just before the switch to unibody) with the model of graphics card (NVidia 8600) that was faulty. I've experienced graphic glitches and the machine freezing since I bought it.

My timeline with this machine is:
    • I brought the machine to the Apple store where I got a replacement logic board.
    • I still had the same problems, so I had to bring the machine back to the store, where they said they would replace the logic board again.
    • While the machine was in the store, they said they were still having problems and would like to give me an identical replacement machine. I agreeded.
    • I had a battery replacement on the new machine.
    • The new machine exhibited minor glitches, but I overlooked them as they were infrequent
    • In September 2010, they get more frequent and culminate in glitches during startup. My computer stops going into the OS.

I booked another Genius Bar appointment and the machine starts working again the day before. However, I have screenshots, photographs and videos to prove it is faulty.

I request a replacement machine rather than my forth(!) logic board, but the manager disagrees and sets me up for another logic board. As it was currently working, I took the machine home and the store said they'd call me when the part came in, so that the repair would take less time.

Four weeks later, I've had no call from Apple and my machine will no longer start. The manager gave me a card with "his number" on which is really just the number of the store (Regent's Street flagship store, London), which means I'll be on hold to them for over 15 minutes.

I'm pretty annoyed at the way my situation has been dealt with, and it's not really the kind of service I expect when buying a £1700+ laptop, especially from Apple. I don't really want a fourth logic board of the same type when three have already failed on me.

I'm wondering if there was anyone else I could contact at Apple regarding my situation. I'm UK based so I don't know how helpful US numbers will be.

Thanks!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I don't know the number, but try calling Apple's Customer Relations (or whatever the equivalent might be there in the UK). It's at their discretion whether they replace your machine, but when you've had trouble in a store here in the US, calling Customer Relations always seems to be a good place to start getting it resolved. I've sent customer's to them several times when I was working as a tech, and they almost always came back with a good solution to the issue.

jW