Dead MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bo07less, May 10, 2014.

1. bo07less macrumors newbie

So my macbook recently died (completely unable to start up; stuck at loading screen, and also stuck when I try to do a recovery from the start-up).

I already had apple employees look at it, and it needs to be sent to the workshop. However, they do not garuentee that my data will be there, when it's fixed

I really needed to get a backup, so I got myself a Hard Disk Link. I then took out the harddisk of my mac, and connected it to my pc. (I have programs such as HFSExplorer and MacDrive to help me out). THe problem is however, that it does not work. Whenever I try to load it through MacDrive I would get the message first get the message that I needed to format the drive, before I can use it, and when I then pressed cancle i'd get a message error like "(...)Cyclic Redundancy Check". I tried again few minutes later, and now I get the error message "E: is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect.".

Please help!

2. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

More than likely, the issue is the hard drive. A simple way to tell is try another hard drive in the MB, along with a restore disc and see if it will load. If so, your original hard drive is toast. There may be services out there that can recover data from you original hard drive. Depending on the model of Macbook, you should be able to get a 1TB replacement for $50-60. Simple process. Ask if you have any more questions.

3. charlyham macrumors regular

charlyham

disk utility

Is it possible for you to connect the drive to another Mac and use disk utility to try and repair the drive? If you know someone that has another Mac, maybe they could let you connect to theirs.

4. bo07less thread starter macrumors newbie

So the harddrive can be the reason for my macbook not being able to start up? Since I bought an apple-care I still have one month left of my warranty on my mac (luckily), so they should repair it for free. Of course, they said it'd take about 5-7 days when I deliver it to the workshop, but I guess I could just ask them to try and put a new HDD inside, and see if it works, guess that they'd have to pay that then

----------

I do have some friends which I can see on monday, and try it with. I'll see whether that'll work or not

5. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

There is a moral to this story:
    Back up your hard drive.

If you had a backup (preferably a bootable backup created with CarbonCopyCloner), you could have bought a new hard drive, installed it (takes only a couple of screwdrivers), and then restored all your data without missing a beat.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you honestly think the OP does not realize they should have had a backup?

Do you run up to people who have been hit by a car and tell them they should have looked before crossing the road?