Dead MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sosofie, Nov 17, 2015.

1. sosofie macrumors newbie

Hi - Am extremely helpful for any suggestions of how to go forward!

Here's my situation:
    MacBook Pro - Early 2011

Was watching a TV-show yesterday on my MacBook, when it suddenly shut down (without warning me of the battery needing recharging). I plugged in the charger and restarted the computer, and it wouldn't get past the loading screen (white screen with the apple logo in the middle, and a loading progress bar at the bottom). Before the progress bar was complete, it just switched off again. I tried this a couple more times, and the exact same thing happened. I then called apple support, where I was told to press command+R, select disk utility, select "verify disk" (where an issue was found) and then select "repair disk", which it was unable to do. I was told to get a clear external hard drive. I got one this morning (1 TB), called apple repair again, and they told me to insert the external hard drive, press command+r when restarting and from the Utilities menu select "Reinstall". I tried to do this, but it didn't work (I made sure to connect to WiFi).

I now have an appointment at the Apple Store on Tuesday, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how I might be able to save data from the hard drive? I haven't backed up for two years (learned my lesson now), but I have been researching, and have seen that it may be possible. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Additional info - My cursor had been acting up a lot for the past month, to the point that I got a mouse (which worked perfectly). It now looks like the battery has been expanding (which I figured out now after researching), because my touchpad seems to be pushed up from the inside, and the area around it seems to be pushed up as well. Only on the left side though, in the area below the keyboard. So basically from the middle of the touchpad to the left/bottom end of the keyboard. Could this have something to do with my problems?

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Tell the Apple store to not wipe the data, and if they can't do that, to remove and replace the hard drive - giving you the old one (so you can USB connect it later to get to your data). It might be an extra $100 for them to swap the drive, but at least they don't wipe it.

3. sosofie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for the reply. Are there any signs I can look for to see if the data is salvageable or not?

4. sosofie thread starter macrumors newbie

Has anyone who has had a similar problem been able to successfully booted in Target Disk Mode by connecting the "broken" macbook to a "healthy" one?

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It sounds like yourbattery swelled and damaged the internals, if it has split the damage caused will probably be catastrophic and not worth the repair costs that may well be more than a new machine.